41.

Last day, Sabre thought, gazing out across the long, stony pathway that led down to the valley; home of the God of the Steves. His heart squeezed tightly in his chest, he hoped the God of the Steves would agree to help them. If he didn't, that's it for Sabre. He wouldn't be able to make it back in time if Emburn came to bring him back. Or if he did, Emburn wouldn't be there since Forest Steve is after her along with himself. What was he supposed to do if the God of the Steves refuses to help? Die and be forgotten, he answered for himself. Swallowing, he slowly made his way down the pathway. He remembered when he slipped off the edge and was saved by the God of the Steves. He thought he was sure to die. Turns out a did anyway, even if it wasn't the fall off the edge.

"Do you really think the God of the Steves will help Sabre?" Portal Steve asked. 

"We have no other option," Alex replied over her shoulder. 

"I suggested Emburn," Portal Steve brought up.

"Probably worrying about Forest Steve as much as we are," Alex pointed out. "And even if she was an option, there's no turning back now."

Portal Steve nodded even though his eyes clearly shown uncertainty. Sabre knew how he felt, he was feeling it, too. The God of the Steves was kind in a way, but everyone knew how much he wants the spirits of humans to stay in the Cemetary of Bones for the rest of their afterlife. Holding his breath and trying to ignore his thoughts, they soon came to the end of the pathway and stood in the valley. Alex turned to the group.

"I'll go look around and see if the God of the Steves is around," she said. "You stay here." but before she could go anywhere, the God of the Steves appeared beside her. 

"No need," he said, his old, dull eyes slightly brightened when his they laid on Sabre. "What are you doing here? And in flesh and blood, again?" 

"Emburn happened," Sabre replied, straightening up. "But that's not why we're here."

"Yes, yes," the God of the Steves said. "It's about Forest Steve. But why must you be here when he is elsewhere?"

"We need you to make Sabre living again, for real, this time," Rainbow Steve stepped forward.

"What?" The God of the Steves asked in dismay, his voice louder than it was before, startling Sabre from its tone. "That's preposterous! He should return to the Cemetary of Bones where he belongs and stay there. Leave Forest Steve to us Steves."

Sabre shook his head. "I'm afraid that's just the problem. He's not just roaming around in the Dead Lands, anymore."

"Oh?" The God of the Steves raised an eyebrow, showing he expected more. 

"He's hunting Emburn down," Sabre explained. "And me, and probably the other spirits who rest in the Cemetary of Bones."

"Hmm," The God of the Steves' eyes dimmed as he glanced away. "And what do you want from me?"

"To make me living flesh," Sabre responded. "For real. We will stop Forest Steve whatever the cost, we promise. We just need this from you and we'll be on our way."

The God of the Steve fell quiet, making the tension in the air rise until it felt thick. Sabre held his breath and his throat became dry. Rainbow Steve glanced at him and he blinked back and Portal Steve began to tremble slightly. 

"Well," The God of the Steves said, slowly. "Alright, then."

Sabre thought he would pass out for a moment. Did the God of the Steves just agree to let Sabre live? He blinked, struggling to find the right words to say. 

"Thank you so much," Rainbow Steve said. 

"Forest Steve has been an issue for quite some time," The God of the Steves said. "I guess Steves aren't the best way to defeat him. I suppose humans won't be that bad. When do you turn back?"

"Tonight," Sabre replied. 

"Then we'll do it right away," The God of the Steves said. "But," he pointed a finger at Sabre. "After this, it's back to the Cemetary of Bones. Got it?"

Sabre nodded. "At least I can do one last thing I enjoy being here. Saving my friends." Or, at least, I hope Emburn's a friend.