2.

Sabre had told his friends he wanted to go home early. They had questioned him why and his only answer was that he was tired. His friends agreed they should go to their own homes as well and now they were all at their own homes. Sabre sat on his bed, staring out the window. The sky was still as clear as that morning with the sun in the middle of the sky, casting light into his room from the window. Sabre touched the side of his neck, he pain had left him hours ago. He kept thinking it would come back as sharp as it was before. He lowered his hand; it was gone, for now at least. He got up and went downstairs to get something to eat. He opened his fridge and grabbed a water bottle. He set it on the table and went to the pantry to get a bowl of cereal. When he put it in a bowl and added milk and a spoon, he set it on the table and sat down to eat. He took a sip of water, then there was a knock on his door. Getting up, he went to the door. When he opened it, Rainbow Steve stood there. 

"Hey," he greeted Sabre. "Is something wrong?"

"No." Sabre replied. "Everything's great. Why?"

"Well," Rainbow Steve said. "It's just that, you suddenly wanted to leave."

"I mean," Sabre stumbled on his words. "I just got exhausted from all those activities we did. I just wanted to, you know, come home to take a quick break."

"Right, yeah." Rainbow Steve's voice dropped it a quiet murmur. "Is it Blue Steve?"

"No, why would I want to stay away from Blue Steve?" Sabre asked, surprised. 

"He was my best friend back then," Rainbow Steve said. "I just thought you'd like him, too. I get he's a little, well, strange in your opinion. And that's fine-"

"No, Blue Steve is great!" Sabre cut him off. "I'm glad I met him."

"Oh, okay." Rainbow Steve looked embarrassed. "I just thought-"

"I get it." Sabre said. "I've been acting strange today, but really. I'm tired. All I need is a little rest and we're good. Okay?"

"Yeah, that's fine." Rainbow Steve replied. "Just wanted to check on you. See you, Sabre."

"See you, Rainbow Steve." Sabre said as Rainbow Steve began to walk away. He closed the door and sat back down at the table. Rainbow Steve was just checking on him, he told himself, no big deal. Rainbow Steve was a great friend to Sabre, that was all. Sabre grabbed his spoon but jumped back and clutched his fingers. They stung! Something was wrong with him, or something was in him. A virus? Disease? What could be so bad to hurt his fingers from the gentle touch of a spoon? Was he dying? He shook his head; no, of course not. Why would he be dying? This is the Steve world, not the human world. He grabbed his spoon again, relieved it didn't hurt, and continued eating. By the time he was done, he was getting tired. He went upstairs and fell on his bed. The room was spinning. Sabre held his head as a headache came over it. What was happening to him? Soon, his headache ceased and he sagged with exhaustion. He glanced at his window tiredly before everything went black. 

*            *             *

Sabre woke with jolt. He looked out his window, it was dark out and black clouds covered the night sky. It was raining and thunder roared, echoing through the house. He leaned back and groaned. His head hurt. He looked around his room, it was spinning. Sabre was okay, or at least he hoped he was. He stood up and stretched his arms, he ached all over. He felt as if he slept on iron. He was stiff and it felt as if something was eating him from the inside. He looked at his hands and wiggled them, everything seemed okay; But Sabre knew better. Inside, he knew something was wrong. He had to find out what. He went to his bathroom and looked in the mirror. He looked fine. He was about to leave when he saw something in the corner of his eye. Glancing down in the mirror, he yelled in alarm. His hand was broken apart in green and black particles. Lifting it up to inspect it, his fear left in a flash and was replaced with confusion. His hand had returned, it wasn't being broken up into particles like it was moments ago. He looked in the mirror and held up his hand. It was falling into particles once again. Sabre lowered his hand and stood staring at hi reflection. What was happening to him?