Chapter 38 Behind bars

Jamal pulls me far away from my mom and the party, ignoring all my protests.

"Can you believe what just happened? What exactly is wrong with this world? So you are automatically not capable of being my boyfriend because you're a Muslim? What does that have to do with anything? What-"

"Its okay Elly, just chill, calm down, calm down" he said stroking my hair as we hugged "I have to go now-"

"What? You aren't going any-" I start to disagree but he cuts me off.

"Hey chill, you're getting too angry over something this little" he then cupped my face in his hands "I'll leave now so that you can talk with your mom okay" he pecked me on my forehead.

"But I don't want to talk to her. How could she say I should break up with you all cause you're a Muslim?" I say calmer now.

"She said I should leave, she never said we have to break up. Even if she did, it will take a lot more than that for her to get rid of me" he assured and I smiled. We kissed and then he left and I walked back to the party area.

"Hey what happened?" Martins asked me from behind.

"Urrgghh... Its just my mom being herself, very annoying" I say still thinking about what happened.

"Its okay smallie just relax, how about we go get some fanta?" He asks smiling.

"Yes please, I'm exhausted" I answer so we walk up to the bar.

"Now this is a person you can date, not that Muslim boy" I hear my mother's sick voice say from behind me.

"Mummy did they send you to me? Even if they did, I am your daughter, can't you tell them that?" I ask very angry, I feel Martins trying to pull me away and I shove his hand off.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about your fellow witches that sent you to attack my life!!! Why not just leave me alone? Go back to Chicago, let me live my life here. Just let me be" I yell, then storm off not really knowing where to go to. She finally made me destroy the party.

I move back to the water side. The water is now sparkling since its getting late.

"I brought your fanta for you" Martins said and I looked back to see him resting on a tree. Then I smiled at the can of fanta in his hands.

"Thank you" I say collecting the fanta "I don't know why my mom is being this way to me, she has never been happy for me, in my 15 years of living she has never told me she was proud of me for anything. Not when I got straight A's in school back in Chicago, all the years I've spent without a father, I never complained and she never thought to say 'I'm proud of you Elliana for staying strong for me'. Does she think its easy? Cause it isn't. But she never even tries to say any sweet words to me. All she does is look at my bad side. That's all she ever does. And its not fair honestly. My aunty has been a better mother to me than my mother has ever been. Its sad to admit it, but its the truth and sometimes the truth is bitter" I rant knowing Martins is listening. He always listens.

"I don't want to say I know how you feel, but I think what I'm feeling is close" he said, walking towards me. That's when I saw it. His sad face. Like really really sad. I've never seen him this way before.

"Biggie are you okay?" I ask holding his arm.

"Yeah I am. Only that my parents are behind bars somewhere in Chicago" he said it like he was reading the weather forecast.

"Oh My God what happened?" I ask worried.

"Remember the time I said I know nothing about my parents?" He asked and I nodded "Well I found out something, they were arrested few years ago for fraud. They had my brothers and I out of Nigeria but shipped us back here immediately I was born for 'safety reasons' because they were scamming people over there and they knew they had enemies. About ten years ago, the long hand of justice caught up with them and they were both sentenced to 25 years of jail time" he said with his hands in his pocket.