Chapter 5

Kora's Point of View

"Aunt Kora," Claire asked me. "Where'd my mom go?"

"She went to see your father and brother," I said.

"Why'd she leave us," Claire asked. 

We were in Jack's hospital room.

"Your mom has loved your dad ever since they were in fifth grade. Once she had to finally be with him, she took it. She loves him so much, that she would do anything for him. I remember once, she said, "If Corbyn's safety depended it, I would jump off a bridge or get eaten by some crazy ass animal." Your mom would anything for your dad and you and your siblings as long as it meant that you would all survive and be safe," I said.

"Do you think my dad will die," Claire asked me.

I sat their and watched as my daughters surrounded their dad. 

"If I know your dad as well as I think I know him, he won't give up. He'll fight for his life," I said.

Claire looked at my daughters and Jack, and then to her younger siblings.

"Who wants to see Chance," I asked, getting up. 

Everyone followed me to Chance's hospital room and Claire almost collapsed at the sight of her younger brother. 

I realized that the Besson's had it harder than anyone else. Especially since Corbyn was in a coma.