Chapter 18

*6 Months Later*
Michele's Point of View

It's been eight months since the accident. And six months since the night Corbyn was rushed into surgery. 

Corbyn never got better. He either stayed the same or got worse.

But I couldn't stay any longer. I needed to be a mom. 

I stood up and looked at him.

I held his hand and kissed his forehead.

"Damn it Bean. I'm saying goodbye for good. Aren't I," I said to him. "I'm really going to miss you and your Space and Star Wars theories."

I placed my forehead on his. I could a feel a tear run down my cheek. I couldn't believe I was actually letting him go.

I lifted my head up and scanned over him one last time. My eyes landing on his lips. I couldn't remember the last time I kissed them. 

I leaned down and kissed them. 

"I love you so much," I whispered, my face still inches from his.

I heard the door open and close. 

I looked at the door to see Zach and Melanie. 

Zach walked up next to me and I walked next to Melanie.

"I don't want to leave, but it's the right thing to do," I said.

"I know," Melanie said. "Sage has your four toddlers. Chance and Claire are with Leilani and Kora."

"I am such a bad parent," I said. "And I'm gonna be even worse."

"We have to be careful when we leave," Zach said.

"Why," I asked.

"There's Limelights and news reporters outside," Melanie said. "Apparently they found out you were leaving Corbyn here. Now everyone wants to know why."

"As long as you say nothing and show no emotion until we get in the car, we'll be fine," Zach said.

I walked up to Corbyn and squeezed his hand for the last time.

"I'm not stepping in here again," I promised myself.

With that, we left. I left the love of my life. My world. My sunshine. My everything. 

It was all in the past now. It broke my heart. But I had to leave it in the past for the sake of my kids.

~ ~ ~

|What do you think'll happen?|