Chap. 119: There Is One Place

the results from the last chapter (above!) •

The tension in Lane's study is high. The only sound that can be heard is the crime lord's footsteps as he paces back and forth in front of the fireplace. Max sits beside Katie, her toned arms and legs sassily crossed. The blonde stares out into the abyss, her fingers twisting the ring on the traditional wedding finger. Axel stands at the door of the study with his back and bottom leaning against the door as his arms are crossed. Jett sits with his head in his hands in the ottoman near the fireplace.

Lane suddenly stops, wiping his smooth face. His ocean blue eyes are wild.

"No one peeps a word of this to anyone!" Lane nods, breathing in and out heavily. "The only ones who know this is everyone in this room."

"Besides that Latina chick." Max reminds him, wincing at the frustration in her boss's eyes.

"Shit!" Lane hisses.

Lane puts his hands on his hips, staring at the side of Katie's face. Obvious that she is still in shock of her pregnancy news. The blonde had cried when Max had told her the pregnancy test sticks were positive. The crime lord's mind races.

"Boss what are we going to do?" Jett lifts his head up from his hands. "Not to state the obvious, but if Lebedev finds out that Kid is knocked up with your baby, he'll stop to nothing to try and get his hands on her! Even if he has to do it when you're a dying corpse."

Katie covers her eyes, letting out a loud cry of horror. She shakes her head, tears flowing down her cheeks. Max smacks the back of Jett's head, giving him a look. Lane shakes his head, turning back to the fire.

"She has to go somewhere safe." Axel offers, "Somewhere Lebedev would never think to look for her."

"Or us." Max smirks at the tattooed man.

"Boss isn't going to just drop her off at a home for pregnant girls!" Jett barks, "Look what happened last time she ended up in a fucking home for girls!"

Max shakes her head, closing her hazel eyes. "There is no safe place from Lebedev."

Suddenly, a spark ignites in Lane's mind. He slowly begins to nod, his eyes watching the flames dance among themselves in the fireplace.

"There is one place Lebedev would never look." Lane heavily sighs, lowering his head. "But we'd have to sneak her out of here after everyone is in bed."

Everyone looks to Lane curiously. Even Katie, who hasn't looked at him since they found the results, looks over her shoulder at her lover and the father of her unborn child.

"Where?" Axel asks curiously.

Lane shakes his head, putting his left index finger to his straight lined lips. He motions towards the walls.

"We've already said too much." He gives his second in command a look, "I won't even risk saying it out loud."

"Then how will we-"

"I'll tell you when we get on the road." Lane firmly commands.

"Axel, Max-you're going to take Miss Fairfield and I to wherever I direct you." Lane nods slowly, wiping the sweat from his thick but short brows. "While we're gone, Jett will be in charge. No one must know when we left, why we're gone, how long we'll be, or where we went. Capeesh? That information stays between everyone in this room. None of this gets out!"

"Boss, what about the rat?" Max arches a brow, "What will we do when we get back?"

"What any good crime lord would do if there was rats in his house." Lane shrugs, nodding as he holds his hands on his small waist. "Exterminate the bastard."

Hey readers! CLIFFHANGER!!! KATIE IS PREGNANT!!!!!!! All of you knew it. I knew you knew this. It's not as surprising to some than others. BUT the big questions at this point are: Where is Lane thinking about going? Why can't he reveal where it is? Could someone be listening in on their conversation, or is Lane just paranoid? Are the walls thick enough to hide such a private discussion? Who is "the rat" in Lane's house/kingdom of crime? Please, if anyone has any comments about the chapter or any predictions, feel free to comment down in the box below. The author enjoys reading everyone's thoughts on her work. Be safe, my Lovlies 🙏🏼❤️