The Twenty Third of December

christmas party

"Mallory! Sweetheart come down!" Zoe called, putting a plate on the table.

"Yes Mama?" Mallory asked skipping into the kitchen. Zoe looked at her and smiled.

"Sweetheart, you need to get dressed! Our big family Christmas party starts soon!" Zoe said, fixing the tablecloth.

"But why?" Mallory asked.

"Why what?" Zoe asked, taking a pan out of the oven.

"Why are we having a party?" Mallory asked.

"Daddy and I decided that we are having some friends over to celebrate before Christmas." Zoe said, transferring the cookies from the pan to a plate.

"But why? Everyone already celebrates Christmas on their own!" Mallory asked, reaching for a cookie.

"No Mal, those are for the party!" Zoe said excitedly.

"Fiiiiine." Mallory sighed.

"Baby, you gotta go get dressed!" Zoe said, shooing Mallory out of the kitchen. Mallory sighed and Cynthia looked at her.

"Mallory, what's going on?" Cynthia said.

"I have to go get dressed for the party." Mallory sighed. Cynthia smiled as Mallory trudged up the stairs.

+++

Mallory looked at Lily who smiled.

"Come on!" Lily whispered. Both girls snuck around several adults to the table with the desserts.

"Mallory! Come say hello!" Zoe called. Mallory groaned and Zoe dragged Mallory over to a group of adults.

"Sweetheart do you remember Daddy's work friend Valentina?" Zoe asked. Mallory shook her head and both women laughed.

"My goodness Mallory, you're getting so big!" Valentina said smiling.

Mallory sighed, it was going to be a long afternoon.