The Eighteenth of December

sledding

"Mal, lets go!" Evan cheered. Mallory looked hesitant.

"What's the matter sweetheart?" Evan asked.

"That hill is really big Daddy." Mallory said. Evan crouched next to her and pointed to the top.

"Do you see all those kids up there?" Evan asked.

Mallory nodded and Evan looked at her.

"They were all scared too. But look! No one is scared anymore! Because they tried it! Now, if you really don't want to, we don't have to. But I think you'd have lots of fun Mal." Evan said.

Mallory didn't move for a few moments before taking a deep breath and walking towards the hill. Evan smiled and followed her, dragging the toboggan behind him.

After several minutes of struggle, Mallory made it to the top of the hill. Evan smiled at her.

"You did it Mal! You made it all the way to the top!" Evan said proudly. Mallory looked down the hill and at the other kids on the top of the hill.

"Daddy, will you go with me?" Mallory asked.

"Of course sweetheart!" Evan said. He climbed into the toboggan and nestled Mallory in between his legs.

"Okay, are you ready Mal?" Evan asked.

Mallory nodded and Evan pushed off the hill. The toboggan picked up more and more speed as it raced down the hill. Mallory smiled as she flew down the hill. The toboggan began to slow down as it flew across the flat ground at the bottom and as it stopped Mallory giggled as she rolled out of the toboggan.

"Again Daddy, again!"

"Okay Mal!" The pair walked back up the hill.

"Mal, do you wanna go in the big one alone?" Evan asked.

"Yeah!" Mallory cheered.

"Okay.  3...2...1... GO!" Evan yelled again. He pushed off and Mallory laughed all the way down before the toboggan became unbalanced and she fell out. She laid on the hill giggling and watched as Evan came walking towards her, dragging the toboggan behind him.

"Are you okay?" Evan asked. Mallory giggled and nodded.

"I'm fine. That was so fun!" Mallory said. Evan helped her up and the two walked up the hill again.

"Do you want to try the spinning one?" Evan asked. Mallory nodded and climbed in.

"You gotta sit crisscross in this one." Evan said. Mallory did as she was told and sat crisscrossed in the toboggan.

"Wanna spin?" Evan asked.

Mallory nodded and Evan smiled.

"Ready Mal?'

"Yeah!" Mallory cheered.

Evan spun her quickly before pushing her down the hill. He smiled as he heard Mallory's giggles all the way down and he watched as she rolled out of the toboggan and laid in the snow. He jumped in the bigger toboggan and slid down to meet her. He sat beside her and Mallory smiled.

"I like sledding." She said. Evan smiled.

"It's fun. isn't it?" He asked. Mallory nodded and smiled.

"Hey Daddy." She said. Evan looked at her and got a face full of snow.

"Last one up the hill gets to ask Mommy for cookies!" Mallory yelled. She grabbed her toboggan and ran up the hill with Evan on her heels.