The Twentieth of December

nana, papa, and grandma

"Mama, when do Nana and Papa and Grandma get heeerrrreee?" Mallory whined, hanging off the banister.

"Daddy's going to pick them in an hour. Just be patient." Zoe reminded her. Mallory groaned and walked over to Tia.

"Tia! Nana and Papa and Grandma come today!" Mallory said. Zoe smiled.

"Do you know who else is coming?" Zoe asked.

"Uncle Connor and Auntie Meredith and Lily and the new baby!" Mallory cheered.

"Look who's here!" Evan said as he walked in the front door.

"Where's my Mallory?" Heidi asked as she walked in behind Evan.

"Grandma!" Mallory yelled. She took off running towards Heidi who instantly scooped her up.

"There my jellybean!" Heidi said smiling.

"Mal, look who else is here." Zoe said. Mallory looked out the front door and saw Lily, Meredith, and Connor who was holding a baby car seat.

"Lily!" Mallory shouted. Lily came running towards Mallory and wrapped her arms around her.

"Mallory!" Lily said happily. Mallory looked at Evan.

"Daddy, where's Nana and Papa?" Mallory asked.

"Where are my my girls?" Larry asked walking inside.

"Papa!" Lily and Mallory shouted. Zoe walked into the foyer and smiled.

"There's my sweet baby girl!" Cynthia said walking inside and looking at Zoe.

"Hi Mom." Zoe said. Heidi smiled and hugged Zoe.

"How have you been sweetheart?" Heidi asked.

"Great! How was everyone's flights?" Zoe asked. There were various murmurs of agreement and Zoe smiled.

"Who wants a drink?"

+++

"Okay, everyone has a drink, and the girls are playing upstairs." Zoe said smiling.

"Hey Zoe, I totally lied. Can I have some water?" Connor asked.

"Yeah absolutely. Give me one second." Zoe said. She set her glass down on the table and walked into the kitchen. Her mother followed.

"Yeah Mom?" Zoe asked.

"Oh nothing darling. I'm just looking around." Cynthia said. Zoe sighed and poured water into the glass she had gotten for Connor.

"Looking for what?" Zoe asked.

"Honey I'm jut admiring your house. Am I not allowed to do that?" Cynthia asked.

"No it's fine." Zoe said.

"Are you sure you're happy here? Because you can always come home." Cynthia said.

"Mom. This is my home. I live here now. We've had this conversation." Zoe said.

"I know. I just get lonely without you and your brother." Cynthia said.

"Well, I'm glad everyone could fly down for Christmas. Still not sure how that got arranged but I'm happy you're all here." Zoe said. Cynthia hugged her daughter.

"We're all happy to be here." Cynthia assured her. Zoe smiled and carried Connor's glass to him.

"There you go big brother." Zoe said. Evan sat beside her and wrapped an arm around her.

"Don't stress. You can do this. Super hostess. Remember?" He whispered in her ear.

"Oh yeah. I remember." She whispered back. Connor and Meredith smiled.

"Oh my goodness Mer, the baby is adorable I can't even handle it." Zoe gushed. Meredith smiled and looked at the little one in her arms.

"Please tell me that having a 6 month old gets easier? Lil was not this hard." Meredith groaned. Zoe smiled.

"I'm sure it'll get better."