December Eighth

Evan pulled his coat on and sighed.

"Zoe! Come on honey we gotta go!" Evan called.

"Give me one sec!" Zoe yelled. Evan chuckled as Zoe came running down the stairs with a smile on her face.

"Okay! I just need to grab my coat and my boots and we can go!" Zoe said excitedly.

Evan smiled and grabbed Zoe's coat out of the closet. He held it out for her as she put her arms through the sleeves. She untucked her hair from the inside of her jacket and turned around to face Evan. She pulled her boots on and Evan wrapped a scarf around her neck. She pulled her earmuffs on and Evan handed her a pair of mitts.

"Lets go!"Zoe yelled happily. She grabbed her purse and her keys and her phone and ran out the front door into the snow. She turned around and watched Evan lock the door.

"Are you driving or am I?" Evan asked.

"You can drive. Unless you want me to drive." Zoe said. Although Evan's social anxiety had gotten a little bit better, he still didn't love being in control of a motorized vehicle.

"Can you drive?" Evan asked. Zoe nodded and climbed in the drivers seat. Evan climbed into the passengers side and Zoe started the engine.

"Okay, where are we going?" Zoe asked.

"The Christmas tree farm!" Evan said.

" Okay yeah, but which one?" Zoe asked.

"Lets go to that really nice one on Wonderland!" Evan said. Zoe smiled and backed out of the driveway.

"Okay lets go!" Zoe said. She turned left and drove out of their neighbourhood.

+++

Zoe parked her car and Evan immediately got out of the car. Zoe smiled and shoved her phone, wallet, and keys into her purse before getting out of the car. She locked the car before walking over to Evan and grabbing his hand.

"Are you ready for this?" Evan asked excitedly.

"Yes. Now how tall can it be?" Zoe asked.

"Ceiling is 8 feet tall. So probably 8 feet." Evan said. Zoe looked at him.

"Are you sure? I mean, I think 7 feet would be good for a tree." Zoe said. Evan shook his head.

"No. No way Zoe. You can take your 7 foot tree but we're getting an 8 foot tree because our ceilings are 8 feet tall." Evan said.

"The tree still needs the angel and to be put in the base. I think we should go with 7 feet." Zoe said.

"Whatever Murphy. Let's just see what they've got." Evan said. Zoe smiled and led Evan into the store.

The woman behind the counter smiled.

"Welcome to VanHart's. Is there anything in particular that you're looking for?" She asked.

"Yeah we're just looking for a Christmas tree." Zoe said.

"You're just gonna want to head out those doors and we've got some guys out back who can help you when you find a tree." The woman said.

"Thank you!" Zoe said. She led Evan through the doors and smiled.

"Look at all these trees!" Evan said. Zoe smiled as Evan took off looking for a perfect tree.

+++

"There! That one is absolutely perfect!" Evan said. Zoe looked at the tag and sighed.

"Baby, this tree is 8 and a half feet tall. Our ceiling is 8 feet. We still need to put the angel on and put it in the base." Zoe said.

"Okay, but we can make it work right?" Evan asked.

"I don't think so." Zoe said. Evan sighed.

"Come on babe. It's perfect." Evan said.

"It won't fit though. That's the problem!" Zoe said. Evan looked at her.

"Okay, worst case scenario, we cut more of the trunk off." Evan said, trying to compromise the situation. Zoe sighed and looked at the trunk. There was a lot of extra trunk there that could be cut off.

"Okay fine. We'll get this one." Zoe said. Evan smiled and kissed her before running to find an employee.

+++

"I told you!" Zoe yelled.

Evan had been in and out of the garage with the tree and the saw and there were pine needles all over the floor.

"Told me what?" Evan asked.

"I told you the tree was too tall!" Zoe said. Evan sighed and tried pushing the tree into a standing position.

"Baby, it won't work. It's too tall." Zoe said. Evan sighed and looked at the top.

"Okay, we can take off some of the top!" Evan said.

"Evan! No! Let's not butcher this one. Let's just go get another one. And maybe this time, when I say it's too tall, you'll listen." Zoe said. Evan hugged her from behind and kissed along her jawline.

"You're angry with me." Evan said. Zoe turned around and kissed him.

"I'm not mad." Zoe said. Evan smiled and kissed her again.

"Back to VanHart's?" Evan asked.

"No. We're going to another Christmas tree farm. I don't want the people at VanHart's thinking that we need two trees." Zoe said. Evan laughed and grabbed his coat.

"Okay then where to?" Evan asked.

"Let's go to White Pines." Zoe said. Evan smiled as Zoe pulled her coat and boots on.

"Okay, White Pines it is."

+++

"Okay, it took two hours but look at our tree!" Zoe said happily.

"It looks depressed." Evan said.

"Well it will look sad until the pines settle. We can decorate it in a day or two." Zoe said.

Evan had gotten a fire going and the pair sat on the couch with cups of coffee in their hands. Zoe rested her head on his chest and smiled.

"And it's actually the right height this time." Zoe said smiling.

"You're never going to let that go are you?" Evan asked. Zoe giggled and shook her head.

"Nope. You are never going to live it down."