06/12/18

"Mommy look at that!" Mallory said. Zoe stopped scrolling for a minute and smiled.

"Yeah! The bird is eating seed that's hanging in a tree." Zoe said.

"We should make one!" Mallory said. Zoe smiled.

"Yeah we can do that. Let's get Daddy, and we can all make it together." Zoe said. Mallory nodded and ran upstairs to get her father. Zoe heard footsteps and started looking up homemade winter bird feeders.

"So Mal tells me that we're feeling the birds?" Evan asked, sitting beside Zoe, kissing her on the cheek.

"Yup. I've found instructions online, and we have some of the things birds can eat!" Zoe said.

"Like what?" Evan asked, looking at her computer.

"Sunflower seeds, fruit, and peanuts." Zoe said. Evan stood and grabbed what Zoe listed off.

"There's also bird seed in the garage." Evan said. Mallory watched as her mother nodded and Evan went to the garage to get the bird seed.

"Okay baby, can you get me one of your bowls?" Zoe asked. Mallory walked over to the drawer that held her dishes and grabbed a blue bowl. She put it on the table as Evan walked inside.

"So we need to put a half cup of water in there and then a cup of seed, and anything else we want to add." Zoe read. She filled the bowl with a half cup of water and Evan measured out one cup of bird seed, handing it to Mallory.

"There baby, go dump that in the bowl when Mommy is ready." Evan said. Mallory walked over to Zoe and dumped the seed in the bowl.

"Perfect, now Mal, you and Daddy can help me put in sunflower seeds and peanuts." Zoe said. Mallory nodded and started grabbing a small handful of each food item, putting them into the bowl.

"Good job baby, now let's get some ribbon, then we're done!" Zoe said. Evan grabbed ribbon and scissors and Zoe cut enough ribbon, tying one end in a knot, and putting the other two ends in the water.

"Now we freeze it and wait!" Zoe said.

+++

"Mommy look!!" Mallory said. Zoe came to the kitchen window and saw 3 cardinals sitting at their homemade bird feeder.

"Look at the birds Mal! They like our feeder!" Zoe said, picking her daughter up.

"Yay! The birds have food now too!" Mallory said happily.

Zoe kissed her daughter on the cheek and watched the 3 cardinals sitting on their tree.