The Sixteenth of December

christmas concert

"Okay Mal, are you ready to go?" Zoe asked, adjusting Tia's car seat in her hands.

"Coming Mommy!" Mallory said. She walked downstairs and Zoe smiled as Evan came down behind her smiling.

"Mommy I'm going to sing at school!" Mallory said excitedly. Zoe looked up from putting Tia's coat on.

"I know baby girl, but if we don't hurry, we'll be late!" Zoe said.

Mallory pulled her coat and boots on and Evan helped Zoe into her coat.

"Now Mal, what songs are you singing?" Evan asked, ushering Zoe and Mallory out to the car. Zoe smiled as she unlocked the car, putting Tia into her car seat.

"A lot of songs!" Mallory said, buckling her seatbelt up as Evan closed the car door, climbing into the passenger seat. Zoe climbed into the driver's seat and adjusted the mirrors.

"Perfect, we can't wait!" Zoe said. She started the car and backed out of the driveway. Mallory smiled and started humming Christmas songs.

+++

"Mr and Mrs Hansen! How lovely to see you!"

Zoe turned around and saw Mallory's teacher standing behind her.

"Miss Sumner! It's great to see you!" Zoe said smiling.

"And this must be Mallory's younger sister!" Miss Sumner said, looking at Tia, who buried her face in Zoe's shoulder and shook her head.

"Yes! This is Tia!" Zoe said. Miss Sumner smiled as Evan walked up to her.

"And Mallory mentioned that you were expecting?" Miss Sumner asked.

"I am! I'm due in February." Zoe explained.

"Congratulations!" Miss Sumner said smiling.

"There you are baby! I was looking for you!" Evan said.

"Mr Hansen! It's great to see you!" Miss Sumner said. Evan nodded.

"Great to see you as well! Zo, we should go get our seats." Evan said.

Zoe nodded and smiled at Mallory's teacher.

"Enjoy the concert!" Miss Sumner said before turning and talking to a new parent. Evan grabbed Zoe's hand and the pair walked to their seats. Zoe pulled Tia into her lap and smoothed out Tia's sweater. Evan smiled as the kids started filing in.

"Oh, here we go!" Evan said. Zoe smiled as Mallory waved. She gently started bouncing Tia, and popped a pacifier into the baby's mouth.

The music started playing and Tia squealed.

"Dashing through the snow
In a one-horse open sleigh
O'er the fields we go
Laughing all the way
Making spirits bright
What fun it is to ride and sing
A sleighing song tonight

Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh, hey
Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh

A day or two ago
I thought I'd take a ride
The horse was lean and lank
Misfortune seemed his lot
He got into a drifted bank
And then we got

Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh, hey
Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh

Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh, hey
Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh

Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh, hey
Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one-horse open sleigh" The kids sang. Zoe smiled as the applause smiled and Mallory waved at her.

+++

"Baby girl you were amazing!" Zoe cheered, hugging her daughter. Mallory smiled as Evan handed Tia to Zoe and scooped Mallory up.

"You were a star! I'm so proud of you!" Evan praised. Mallory smiled and looked at her parents.

"Caaaan we go get ice cream now?" Mallory asked, smiling.

"Nice try Mal, we need to get your sister in bed and you home!" Zoe said. Mallory turned on the puppy dog eyes and Zoe chuckled.

"Not tonight sweet girl. But maybe on Saturday we can get you ice cream then." Zoe promised.

"Ughhhh fiiiiiiine! If I make it until then!" Mallory whined, draping herself over Evan's shoulder. Zoe chuckled and Evan started walking to the car.