The Twelfth of December

ornament

"Daaaaadddyyyy!" Mallory yelled.

"What is it Mal?" Evan asked, pouring a cup of tea for Zoe.

"The Christmas lights are all tangled." Mallory groaned. Evan plugged one end in and helped Mallory untangle them when Zoe walked into the room with a small box in her hands.

"Whats that?" Evan asked. Zoe smiled and handed Evan the box.

"Baby what is it?" Evan asked, taking the lid off the box. He smiled softly when he saw what was inside and looked at Zoe.

"Do you like it?" Zoe asked. Evan nodded and pulled the ornament out of the box.

Printed on the ornament was a sonogram from Zoe's most recent ultrasound with the due date printed on the bottom.

"What's that?" Mallory asked, walking over to her father to see what he had.

"That's the baby." Evan said. Mallory looked at the picture and frowned.

"It doesn't look like a baby." Mallory said as a matter of factly.

"It is though. That's going to be your new baby brother or sister." Zoe said smiling.

"It looks weird." Mallory said.

"Why?" Evan asked, looking at the ornament.

"I don't know. It just doesn't look like a baby." Mallory shrugged.

"Well when the baby comes they'll look more like a baby." Zoe assured Mallory.