December 7th, 2019

"Mallory! Mommy and Daddy and Tia are leaving!" Zoe called, strapping Tia into the carseat. Mallory ran downstairs and pulled her coat on.

"Ah ah, Miss Mallory, where are your snow pants?" Zoe asked, tucking Tia into her carseat.

"No, I don't want to wear them." Mallory said.

"Well it's a very good thing that this isn't a negotiation." Zoe said, picking Tia's carseat up.

"No thank you Mommy." Mallory said, pulling her boots on.

"Mallory. Snow pants. Now." Zoe said. Mallory shook her head.

"Mallory, it is cold outside and it is snowy and we are going to be late if we don't go now. Your sister is ready, and Daddy and I are ready. You need these snow pants on." Zoe said. Mallory glared at her mother.

"Mallory, if you're not going to put your snow pants on, we'll call a babysitter and Daddy and Tia and I will go without you." Zoe said. Mallory glared at her mother and Evan came downstairs. 

"Mal, don't you want to see the pretty lights?" Evan asked.

"Yes." Mallory said.

"Well, then you need snow pants." Evan said, pulling his jacket on. Mallory groaned and kicked her boots off, pulling her snow pants on. 

Zoe looked at Evan and shook her head.

"What?" Evan asked.

"I can't always be bad cop. You need to discipline her too." Zoe said, smiling at Tia.

"What?" Evan asked. 

"Never mind. I'm going to put Tia in and warm up the car." Zoe said, walking out the front door. Evan sighed and watched Mallory struggle with her snow pants.

+++

"Who's wearing the Snugglie?" Zoe asked, opening the trunk.

"I can wear it." Evan offered.

"Actually, I'll do it. Mallory isn't going to want to be walking the whole time and she likes being up on your shoulders." Zoe said.

"Can you do up the back?" Zoe asked. Evan clipped it together and lifted Tia into it.

"Hi my baby girl!" Zoe cooed and Tia looked around before resting her head on Zoe's chest.

"Come on Daddy!" Mallory called, running towards a tree. Zoe sighed as Evan closed the trunk and walked after Mallory.

"Daddy there's no lights!" Mallory whined. Evan laughed and scooped Mallory up.

"The trees turn on soon! We're going to hear the mayor talk and then they'll turn on!" Evan explained. 

Evan and Zoe walked towards the stage and the mayor walked onstage.

"Welcome to our annual lighting of the lights! We've got some very nice lights this year! So here we go!" The mayor connected two extensions cords and the entire park lit up. Mallory gasped and Evan and Zoe smiled.

"It's so pretty!" Mallory yelled. Evan set her down and she ran towards the nearest tree and stood in front of it, looking up at it.

"I wonder where she gets that from?" Zoe asked, gently nudging Evan. He kissed Zoe's temple and smiled.

"I love you Zo." He said.

"I love you."