Chapter Ninety Eight [Rewritten]

-Chapter Ninety-Eight-

"Where I come from, this is a famous story—it's a fairytale supposedly based on the life of Noland who lived in the North Blue a long time ago" Sanji explained.

"This is a story of ancient origins, the events in here expired more than four hundred years ago" Nami began to read as she opened the book. "There once was a man by the name Montblanc Noland who lived in the North Blue countryside, who was an explorer that always regaled the crowds with stories of his incredible exploits. But nobody knew whether or not to take Noland's tall tales seriously. One day, upon returning from yet another adventure, he reported to his king all that he had seen. "I saw a City of Gold on an island on the great sea!" declared Noland, and the courageous king decided that he must have this treasure for his kingdom.

"The king set out with Noland and two thousand of his finest soldiers, along the way they endure treacherous storms and battled many ferocious creatures. At the end of their journey only the king, Noland, and one hundred soldiers survived to set foot on the island that housed the City of Gold, and all they found for their troubles was a normal island covered with an ordinary jungle. And so, upon their return, Noland was sentenced to death for the crime of lying to his king. His last words were as follows, "I can only assume that the City of Gold sunk into the sea," the king and his court were dumbfounded. Nobody believed in Noland anymore and the last of his days were spent in shame and ridicule before his sentence of death was carried out before a cheering crowd" she finished.

"It says here the book is based on the true story of Noland the Liar" she noted.

"Sounds like the kind of story Sora would probably like" I softly smiled, peering down at the book before raising a questioning eyebrow the second my attention drifted toward Luffy who was currently bent over and intently staring down at the sea.

"At last, the liar died before he could prove himself to the people" Nami suddenly and dramatically sighed as she shut the book. "All he ever really wanted to do was live the life of an adventurer."

"That last part is not in the book! Don't try and tack on your own sentimental nonsense!" Usopp frowned.

"I don't know, it didn't sound half bad to me" I snorted.

"Help!" Luffy suddenly cried followed by the deafening sound of a splash.

"Did he just fall in the water?" Nami gaped as Usopp shot off toward our fallen captain.

"The idiot knows he can't swim, right?" I frowned. "What was he even doing that close to the water in the first place?

"What's going on?" Usopp frantically asked before skidding to a halt when a man suddenly emerged from the water.

"Who the hell are you?" he gruffly asked, eyebrows knitted together in a harsh glare. "You've got a lot of nerve relaxing at someone's house without their permission—this is my land and I suggest you leave" he grunted.

"Hurry, Usopp—move! Go and fish Luffy out of the sea!" Sanji ordered as he ran straight at the man.

"Got it!" the sharpshooter nodded, diving into the water as I mulled over what the man had said earlier.

"What are you thinking about over there?" Nami mumbled as she stuck close to Chopper and me.

"It's what that man said—he called this place his land..." I murmured in thought. "Does that mean he's the man we're looking for? Montblanc Cricket?" I asked, seeing no other explanation as to who this strange man was.

"That seems plausible" she nodded after mulling over my words for a second.

"I know why you're here—you're after my gold!" Cricket accused as he kicked his foot out toward Sanji who easily dodged it. This continued for a while with the man trying to hit the blond who only continued to dodge until he was eventually forced to start blocking the other's attack.