Chapter 53 Visitors from Abroad

Two weeks after the Luyengo incident, the citizens of Ngwane had started preparing for the reed festival. Young maidens from all over the country ran through shops trying to buy traditional attire such as emaFahlawane.

Maya patrolled the streets noticing the chaos around her. "It's that time of the year again." She mumbled to herself as she continued.

"Are you going to participate?" Ayanda asked as she appeared from behind her. "I'm sure Cody would love seeing you in a lihiya ." She nudged her subordinate on the shoulder.

"No offense but, I find this celebration tedious and a waste of money." Maya responded. "Even if Cody liked it, I don't."

This tradition is the cause of it all. Maya thought of her elder sister's picture from before she was born.

Ayanda watched as Maya scouted the area for suspicious activities. "I never thought I'd hear her say she hates something Cody likes."  She commented before laughing a bit.

Cody sneezed as he and the dire wolf returned to the guild hall that afternoon. "I really hate this time of the year." He stated as he sneezed again. "When I get to the guild hall I'm drinking hot lemon water. What do you say Mamiki?"

The wolf howled in response startling everyone around him. Cody quickly apologized for scaring everyone before running away. The wolf ran besides him as he laughed a bit.

After running for a few blocks the two slowed down to catch their breaths. "That was close. We really need to master that spell buddy."

As he approached the guild hall, Cody noticed a number of girls moving up and down the streets. Some had huge plastic bags with them while, others had people carrying their things. "What is happening here?"  He wondered.

"It's the preparation for the reed dance festival later this week. How don't you know that?" Robin asked as she emerged from a store carrying two paper bags.

"That sounds good. What happens during this festival?" Cody asked in curiosity. This caused a visible vein to appear on Robin's head. Before she could react Robin took one deep breath.

"It's a celebration where young maidens like me, cut reed and take it to fortress mountain." Robin explained with confidence.

"Why though?" Cody wanted to know more.

"It's to keep some dangerous monster from long asleep." Robin answered Cody

"Really!?" Cody responded with a shocked look on his face. Mamiki on the other hand was puzzled tilting it's head side ways to show it.

"How didn't you know anyways?" Robin asked as she folded her arms together.

"It's a long story. I'd rather not get into details." Cody responded losing his enthusiasm for a bit. "But learning that something this great happened has cheered me up. I'm looking forward to the dance."

He probably fell asleep during culture class. Robin assumed after Cody's vague response. Even so it's still weighing heavy on him.

"You better be, I'll be dancing this year. Besides the knight rankings are announced at the end of the dance." Robin commented as she walked away. "Let's return to the guild hall before it gets dark."

Later that night Ozen sat on the floor of a room in the Magi building. With him were the elders who were seated on benches in front of him. The room was dimly lit, making it look hazy.

"As you know the Reed festival is coming up and we the elders are expecting it to go smoothly." One of them stated.

"Yes elder Hlubi." Ozen responded. "I've already prepared a list of the announcements for the ceremony. One of them is about the new leader of the Tsela clan."

"Instead of the economy, you are wasting your time on an endangered species. If you have time to play, why don't you divert your attention towards one of the elite clan?" Another elder asked.

"Sir if I may?" Ozen prepared. " The so called endangered species is part of this economy and neglecting them is evil in my books."

"Why you ungrat-" elder Hlubi held his clansmen and set him down.

"Fine it doesn't matter. What we actually called you here for was the matter of the visitors from Britannia." Hlubi stated.

"They are going to be resting here while we wait for the leaders conference late next week." Ozen quickly informed them. "The king wanted to visit some family members in the country."

"And you allowed him?" An elder asked.

"Yes I did elder Bongani." Ozen replied. "He is my friend after all."

In a far away country, a boy in a bronze suit of armour, walked through the stone covered streets. As he walked, the people around him bowed down in respect. Only those performing important jobs, continued about their business.

Before entering the castle, the soldiers on guard created two lines with a path between them. Each of them wore silver armour and brandished a sword. They all saluted as the boy passed through.

Upon entering the castle, a purple light glowed around the wooden door. Slowly the door opened by itself the closer he got to it.

As he entered the throne room, the boy knelt down before a man sitting on the throne. He closed his blue eyes before speaking. "Father the vessel is ready."

"Thank you for the report." The man stated before standing up from the throne. "Let us set sail for the Ngwane nation." Once everyone had left the room, the man walked over to the queen's throne.

He touched it before smiling. "Soon I'll be with your child."