Story 11--Headache

Short and sweet story since I don't have time anymore to write. This actually happened to me this morning. UGH.

Guide: 

(Y/N): Your name

It was the day of your final midterm examination, Geography. The snow was falling gently through the clear morning sky, and the students were buzzing excitedly as they waited outside the exam room waiting to get in and start writing. However, you secluded yourself from them. You woke up somehow with a pretty mild headache, and you didn't want to talk with anyone about the upcoming exam, for fear that the headache would get worse.

Your best friend, Tadashi, noticed how secluded you became. He was also writing an exam that day, just in a different subject. "You alright?" he asked, coming over to you and putting an arm around you gently.

You stood with a hand on your temple, your eyes closed. "I'm fine," you murmured. "Just a headache. I have no idea why, or how."

Tadashi held his arms out to you and you accepted the embrace, your head leaning on his chest. "You'll be fine!" he assured you. "Don't worry about your head. Focus on the stuff you studied yesterday. Maybe the headache would go away then."

You nodded, hoping that was true.

All too soon, the professor ushered you to your seats, and after the usual reminders of "please turn all of your cell phones off, please show your TAs your ID, put your bags away from you, put away all your notes, blah blah blah," the exam began.

You turned to the first question. "Sketch out the greenhouse effect, and explain why the term itself is misleading in explaining what is happening to the atmosphere." That wasy pretty easy. You wrote down the answer in a flash.

The second question also looked like cake. "Suppose you were going to visit your grandmother who lives in 53.8 degrees W and 55.8 degrees N. You plan to leave at 5:00 pm, and at that time the local time at your grandmother's is 3:30 pm. You currently live at 65 degrees W and 65 degrees N. How long would it take you to get to your destination, and what time would it be by then?" You wrote the answer down without a second thought. 

On and on the exam went, and soon your headache diminished. Yes! you thought. Tadashi was right! But then you hit a dead end when you reached the very last question. it was an essay question, and you hated essay questions. They make you blank out so easily. 

"Explain the difference between the isotherms in January and the isotherms in July, and why the isotherms produce such a pattern at these two times. Use diagrams to illustrate your answer when necessary. 10 marks."

You turn around to look at the clock. You had 30 minutes left to answer the final question and get the exam over with. 

So you started to think. Isotherms in January...isotherms in July...what are isotherms again? As you thought, your headache returned. Uh oh. 

THINK! you commanded yourself. But the pain in your head started to increase and add up. Quickly, you put down the first sentence.

The difference between the isotherms in January and the isotherms in July are...

Great. Now you're blank.

You drew some diagrams to try and help, but you couldn't figure out how to word your answer. The headache you experienced was suddenly too great for you to manage.

You looked at the clock again. 15 minutes remained. You took a deep breath, and tried to continue writing.

Suddenly, you felt as if someone struck a harpoon in your head, the tip of it passing right through the front of your head. You couldn't see anything anymore. You screamed at the pain, eventually falling over from your seat and writhing in pain.

There was commotion as the students looked up at the sound of you screaming, and the professors started to panick. 

"Someone help her!" a professor cried.

You heard hurried footsteps come over to you, but before you could make sense of what was happening, you blacked out...

********

"Is she okay?"

"Oh dear."

"Oh no."

"(Y/N), can you hear us?"

"Wake up!"

"It's my fault!"

"No it isnt'!"

"How could I let her do this? A headache? I didn't know how serious it was!"

"She'll get better!"

"Argh!"

"Shh."

"Is she asleep?"

"I sense she is stirring."

"Urrrnggghhh..." you groaned.

"See! She's okay!"

"Don't get too excited, okay?"

"How could I be? It's my fault!"

"Stop blaming yourself! It's not!"

"I sense some distress coming from the patient."

"...huh?"

The talking ceased as you opened your eyes. Wait, how did you suddenly end up in your own room? You clearly remembered you were stuck on the last question in your geography midterm exam...and...wait...did you even get to finish it?

"AHH!" you screamed. "My exam!"

"Easy," Wasabi calmed you down, helping you lie down again.

You breathed hard, looking at all your friends, who were looking at you with concern. 

"(Y/N), you okay?" Gogo asked you.

"It feels like someone struck me with a spear," you said, smiling weakly. "The pain is just about gone, though."

You turned your head to see Baymax and Tadashi by the right side of your bed. "You..."

"(Y/N), thank god!" Tadashi took your hand gently. "We thought you wouldn't make it!"

"I'm a strong one," you chuckled weakly. "Baymax, thank you so much for bringing me back."

Baymax blinked. "I heard a loud sound of distress, and brought you home."

"But what about my exam?" You turned to look at the clock. "Wait, I have been out for 2 hours?!" you exclaimed in shock. 

"We couldn't do much about it," Honey Lemon spoke up. "We're so sorry."

"What did the profs say?"

"They waited until you got up to ask," Hiro said. "But I think they just left, so I'll pass the message. They said you will get an extra 15 minutes for your exam since you blacked out before it ended. Just report to the head's office and you can continue your exam."

"What exam was that, anyway?" Fred asked.

"Geography," you responded. "And that was one of my best subjects..." you started to cry just a bit.

"Hey, what matters is that you're still here and feeling okay," Tadashi smiled at you. "Don't feel so discouraged. Keep your head up. I'm not giving up on you."

You laughed just a bit. "Thank you. All of you."

"No problem," they chorused back. Then they started to leave, one by one. Only Tadashi remained, holding your hand.

"Shouldn't you be going?" you asked him. 

"Not yet," he said, entering the bed with you and pulling up the covers.

"Don't tell me..." you warned him.

"Don't worry," he assured you. "Just go to sleep. Get that headache over with." He pulled you in close and kissed your forehead. Comfortable under the bed with him beside you, you drifted off to sleep.