Story 47--Home Run

Guide:

(Y/N): Your Name

(Y/BFF/N): Your Best Friend's Name

"Hell no, Hiro!" you cried in laughter as the younger Hamada brother told you a joke that made you both crack up. It was just another typical sunny day at San Fransokyo Institute of Technology, and you were hanging out in Hiro's lab after having completed your project for the new head of robotics. Or rather, you were hanging out in Tadashi's old lab that Hiro took over after his brother's death.

Tadashi...that name still rang clear in your memory. Not only was he your trusted lab partner, he was also your boyfriend—your boyfriend for so long. Your time with him was only cut short when a fire started in the convention hall at SFIT, and he ran in to save a professor that wasn't suffering from the smoke or flames AT ALL. To this day you were still pretty depressed for the loss of your boyfriend, but since the arrest of Professor Robert Callaghan, you have been feeling significantly better as you spent more time with Hiro and his friends. The time you spent with Hiro has been pretty special since he gave you a fond reminder of your boyfriend, that he hasn't exactly left you in the way brutal reality made you see his reckless choice. If you know what I mean.

"I honestly can't believe you finished earlier than me, (Y/N)," Hiro smirked knowingly. "And I thought I was the smarter one of the two of us."

"Different projects, different time lengths, I guess," you simply shrugged. "Besides," you added, gesturing to his blueprint, "I probably wouldn't be able to finish THIS thing in the same time frame as you would have."

"Well, simple is kind of the best way, but I love giving myself challenges," Hiro said lightly.

"Finally using that big brain of yours, huh," you joked, though only halfheartedly. That was what Tadashi said to Hiro before he started building his microbots to gain entry to SFIT.

"Well...yeah," Hiro smiled.

For a while, the both of you were silent as you glanced at the blueprint, then at Hiro. The silence was broken suddenly by the sound of Hiro's cellphone going off. When Hiro saw who was calling, a scowl was etched on his face.

"Who is it?" you asked.

"The police," Hiro answered slowly. "Hang on. I'll be right back."

He dashed out of the lab for a moment, leaving you inside, feeling alone.

Slowly, you looked around the lab at Hiro's things, which have been placed on several shelves and counters and even around the huge blue screen that served as a programming computer, recalling how once this place has been filled with Tadashi's things. You closed your eyes briefly, surrendering yourself back to the time when you and Tadashi were together, not just in his lab but also out of it, going on several dates around the city before his tragic and reckless end. The faint scent of his cologne, his warm and gentle touch on your face before every kiss...never have you been under a brighter sky before he showed up.

Then you opened your eyes, which landed on the San Fransokyo Ninjas hat hanging from Hiro's lamp head, and a faint smile twisted at your lips. This was the thing that brought you and Tadashi together since the end of your sophomore year at high school...

***********FLASHBACK*************

"I'm sorry, (Y/N)," your best friend said apologetically over the phone. "I just didn't know this would come up."

It was the day of one of the final San Fransokyo Ninjas games against the Los Kyoto Narwhals, and you and your best friend have so willingly gotten front row seats at the game, being big time baseball fanatics since you were both young. But just as you were preparing, she called you up and said she had something else going on...and she didn't tell you the details.