5

After brushing my (H/c) (H/l) hair, I brush off my shirt and check myself out in the mirror. "Not too horrible I guess..."

I just have on some jeans and comfy shoes to go with my black Hendrick Motorsports shirt. After all today is mainly just some practice for the pit crew... but I still don't want to look like I just rolled out of bed about fifteen minutes ago.

Even if that is absolutely the case.

I grab my things and swipe the keys off the counter of my small apartment over here in Charlotte. It's big enough for just me, as it's always just me over here. My parents live in my hometown over in Cincinnati, and I decided to move close to the main building of business.

It was a nice move to say the least. I left a lot of my past and bad memories back home and took on a new me when I came here. But I don't really like to talk about that with people...

Locking the door, I make my way over to my black Chevrolet Malibu RS that Chevrolet gave to me, as I didn't really want to drive around a big truck like the others, and hop inside to start it up.

The difference between a regular car and a race car is astronomical. Sometimes I have to remember I can't go two hundred miles per hour to the grocery store.

I sit through the traffic and I tap my fingers to the music I have blasting. I like to get pumped up before practices and races so I know I bring my A-game. It's just one of the things I love. Music. And sometimes I'll go a little further and dance a bit, regardless of my two left feet.

•••

"Alrighty, first up we're going to have Mister William Byron take a few runs and then we will rotate." The coach says to me, Chase, Alex, and William.

Everyone is dressed in about the same attire as me. Chase chose a Napa shirt and jeans, Alex an eighty-eight shirt, and William a similar Hendricks shirt as me.

I nod and make my way up to this viewing area so we can watch the practice sessions. I plop down in a seat, as do the others, and wait in what turns out to be an awkward silence.

I figured perhaps with the ice being broken between me and the rest of the Hendrick members, conversation would flow a bit easier. Apparently I guessed wrong.

"So," I say slowly, grabbing the other two's attention, "what do you guys normally do while you wait?"

"I mean, we watch and take some notes if we find anything useful. But really we just sit and chill."

This is the first time we all have been to practice for the pit crew together. When I first joined I did a lot of work separately so that way I can get used to my team and so my team can get used to me.

"Nice," I say and look out to watch as William's crew does a round.

"Did you enjoy the ounce of fame you got the other night on Twitter?" Alex asks chuckling a bit.

"Sure I guess so," I grin.

Chase still remains quiet and just nods.

Great.

Back to this.

I really want to befriend everyone, and it felt like Chase was starting to get there the other night after the race.