29

I knock on the door, bags behind me, and let out a sigh. I just called about ten minutes from the street to let them know I was here. I smirk, mom's always got the door locked though. Even when I was younger and would come home from school or work she'd always have the door locked and I'd have to fumble for a few minutes trying to find the key and get inside.

"Coming!" I hear her voice holler as she gets closer to the door.

I hear a click and the door swings open. There, my mom stands and has a big grin on her face as she rushes forward and wraps her arms around me in a warm embrace. I close my eyes and give her a big hug back. "I missed you so much!" She says and pats my back.

"Hey! There she is!"

I look up and my dad comes and gives me a hug then helps me grab my bags and we haul everything inside.

"Man it's good to be home..." I say and look around the kitchen. It's the first place you walk into with it being an older house and all.

"It's good to have you home (F/n). We're taking you out to eat today as a special treat for a good season and just to welcome you back!" My mom says and leans against the counter.

I nod, "Sweet, thanks. Trust me, after the drive I could sure go for something good."

"You really should start flying honey. It'd save you a lot of trouble."

I sigh and roll my eyes playfully, "Did Chase call you and bribe you into hounding me about it?"

My dad chuckles, "no but he's got a point."

"He wants me to fly with him. I've agreed to one round trip with him because we made some kind of bet."

"When's that?" My mom asks as she starts to help pull my suitcase to my room.

I follow her and shrug, "Not sure and I'm definitely not pressing the issue."

We get to my room and literally nothing has changed since I left at the beginning of the year. "Love what y'all did to the place," I joke.

"Well it's not like we had any guests over!" She fusses and hauls my bag onto my bed and starts to unzip it.

I follow suit and start to pull my clothes out. "So anything new?"

She shakes her head, "no, just same old stuff as usual. Your dad hasn't been too well though... his teeth have been hurting him really bad. I keep telling him to go get checked out but his stubborn self won't do it."

"Really? I hope it's not because he keeps coming to see me..." I start to feel a bit bad.

"No not at all. He's stayed home those weeks he just wasn't feeling well because of it. I don't get what it is with men and going to the doctors or dentists."

I laugh, "this one time, Chase caught this cold and he sounded, and very much looked, like he was dying. He sat through a long, miserable race and about fell over when he got out of the car. But he kept telling me he was fine until I grabbed him by the ear and dragged him to my car. I drove him to the airport and told him he best not fly himself and I wanted to see a doctors note within forty eight hours. Sure enough... he sent me a picture saying he just had a nasty cold with chicken scratch at the bottom as the doctors' signature."