9

Chase's P.O.V

I wake up around eleven in the morning. It's surprising because I usually don't sleep well when I'm stressed out. Picking up my phone from the charger, I turn it on and see there's still no messages from (F/n). I let out a sigh and plop it back down as I sit up.

I walk to the little kitchen area to grab a bowl of Fruit Loops for breakfast. I pour it almost to the top and then add milk.

"Now where in the hell are the spoons?" I mumble to myself as I shuffle through the drawers.

Finally I find them, now that half of my cereal is probably sort of soggy... I then dive in, shoveling the cereal in my mouth, as I turn on the TV back in the small living room area from the couch. I eat quickly so I can shower and get ready for the race today at three.

I go to the small bathroom, flick on the lights, and turn on the hot water in the shower. I strip off my shirt and pajama pants as well as everything else, then step into the warm water. It hits my back and soothes my muscles from the stress. I turn my head to let it hit my neck and it feels amazing. I let out a sigh and get to work on washing my hair.

My thoughts take over while I continue to scrub myself down. I wonder if (F/n) will be okay today? I'll try to talk to her once I see her... I remember the other night I had made a comment and she said she had to get used to having good friends. Does this have something to do with how she's being? I'm trying to be a good friend but it's hard when I don't know what to do when she won't talk to me.

•••

I pull up to the track in my truck and park it in the driver's parking lot. I get out, grab my bag with my fire suit, helmet, gloves, shoes, etc. and make my way over to the pit box. I see my Napa Chevrolet sitting out and looking pretty. I smile a bit as I start to feel the excitement of race day.

"Hey man you ready to roll?" Alan comes up to me as he fixes something on his headset.

I nod, "ready as I'll ever be. I'm going to go get changed and set up and we'll be ready to go take the win."

He pats my shoulder and I head off to the locker area where I step into my fire suit and tug on my shoes.

"You think it's that time of the month or something?"

I look up and see Ryan leaning on the wall. I blink and then tilt my head in question, "what are you on about?"

"(F/n). I went and said hi to her and she just nodded and walked away. Women." He scoffs.

I sigh, "Well something's up. Yesterday was a bit worse. I was hoping that she'd come around today, but I'm guessing that won't be the case..."

I then quickly explain what happened yesterday and how I didn't get any response from her after I had text her.

"So yeah, I guess I'm pretty worried."

He nods and stuffs his hands in his fire suit pockets, "well man I don't know. Like you said, it isn't like her at all."

I shrug, "I'll see if she will say anything to me today."

"I hope so because it'd be boring with just you and me on gaming night this week," he playfully shoves my shoulder.

We walk out together and see everyone else gathering around with their crews and making the final adjustments and pep talks. I catch a glimpse of (F/n) at her car with Cliff and we make eye contact. It holds for a few and she looks away.