23

Chase's P.O.V
(Earlier that morning)

I look out across the water as the sun rises and the ensemble of colors streak across the sky, reflecting along the waves. The gentle morning breeze blows through my hair and I take a deep breath.

Everyone is still asleep and I could hardly go to sleep last night. I tossed and turned and Fletch kept getting annoyed with each movement as he laid curled up by my feet.

The playoffs start next week after the final regular season race and I can't help but let my nerves slowly creep up on me. Another year where I have a shot at going for the championship.

Another year where I can live up to my dad's legacy.

Another year where I am just Bill Elliott's son in the playoffs.

I look at my clasped hands resting on the wood of the little balcony. Racing isn't the only thing that's on my mind...

I think back to last night and how at ease I am with (F/n). How when she was so close I could only think about my heart beating inside my chest. When I carried her and she traced little infinity signs on my chest when her arms were wrapped around my shoulders as she hung on. It made my breath hitch at the innocent intimate contact.

Deep down I think I know the truth. But I'll never admit it to myself.

I remember Ryan's words to me: "One day you will find a girl that will love you for who you are. Not just because you are Chase Elliott. She will be there at every race and support you win or loose. She will listen to you and how you feel and not pull you away from your friends and make it all about her. She will treat you as an equal and not a star athlete. You'll know when you find her."

I shake my head.

I just can't do it. Even when I feel her tugging on my heart strings every time I look at her or she jokes with me and we hang out. When she gives me her classic genuine smile it warms something within me. I know I'd do anything to protect her. I don't think she knows she does it and I can't risk having a one-sided relationship again. Especially when I value her friendship so much.

I look down and see Erin tugging William to the water as they are in their swimwear. She laughs and she runs in.

"Ahhh! It's cold!" Erins squeals.

William dips his foot in and backs away, "that's what we get for coming out at the crack of dawn."

Erin splashes water at him and he yells as he wraps his arms around himself.

The sun keeps peeking over the clouds, letting the warm rays shine through and onto the sparkling water.

I sigh and turn around and go to my room to get Fletch.

Your P.O.V

I tie my hair back as I walk up to my car. We just finished the national anthem and about to get the final regular season race underway.

I look over at Chase, who's been a bit off all day. He's just been quiet and zoning out. I can tell he's thinking about something.

He takes off his Napa hat and runs his fingers through his dark brown and wavy hair as he usually does and starts to put his ear pieces in.