48

I remember all of our road trips from when I was little. I was always so excited about traveling on the highway.

Guess I always liked to go fast.

But now here I am once again taking a road trip, sitting in the back of the car. My head rests on the pillow against the seat and I have my eyes closed as I listen to the sound of the traffic around me.

I find myself thinking and thinking back to the wreck. Letting it numb me.

Slowly, I open my eyes and peer out the window as the sun starts to set and we are about an hour and a half out from home. It feels like everything has just stopped. I'm hurt. I can't race. I can't be with my friends.

All of what I have worked for just ripped away like that.

It makes my heart ache at the thought that I won't get to be with or see Chase for two months. Sure I can text him as usual, but I won't be there with him.

My eyes drift to my dad driving. I blink slowly and find myself nodding off.

...

"Hey hun, we're home," my mom gently wakes me.

"Oh, okay" I groan as I stretch and yawn, feeling my muscles scream in pain from the stiffness.

"Lets get you inside and me and your dad will bring your stuff in."

I unhook my seatbelt and slide out of the car. I'm greeted by our house just as it was just a few months ago. My body yearns for my bed and to just let all of my worries and stress wash away. Perhaps I'll take a nice shower first...

I get inside and the sense of being home hits me. I take a deep breath and exhale slowly. 

It's just two months... I can do this. I will let my body heal and I will try to keep my routines up so it'll be like I never even left.

Just then I feel a pain across my shoulder areas. Every now and then I feel these twinges from where the harness kept me locked in. I really can't wait until these bangs and bruises go away. I can't move or breathe without something hurting me.

I trudge my way to my room and feel my legs wobble from the strain of the last few days. I sit on the plush comforter of my bed and run my hands through my hair, letting out a sigh as I do so. 

Stupid wreck. Stupid Kevin. Stupid rules and body healing processes...

My mom walks through my doorway with my suitcase in hand, my dad behind her with my other few bags. "Do you want to unpack or do you need help? It can wait until tomorrow, just don't hurt yourself" she offers me a warm smile.

I shake my head, "I'll get it. Thanks."

"We're just glad that you're okay," she leaves my suitcase on the floor and comes over to give me a little hug and a kiss on the top of my head.

"Me too. I should be thankful that I'm alive. Not sulking over..." I trail off.

What am I really sulking over? Not being able to race or seeing Chase?

"I told you to ask him out. Just think, he could be here snuggling you and making you feel better and giving you a peck on the lips to heal your boo-boos. But did you? No..." she clicks her tongue.

My face immediately flushes and my dad chuckles as he shakes his head and leaves my room. 

"But don't worry I took care of it for you," she smirks.

My head jerks up and my heart drops to my stomach, "Y-you WHAT?!"

"Yeah while you went to go see your dad inside of your apartment me and him had a little chit-chat."