40

Chase is on the pole for today's race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Before the race started he came up to me and gave me a little fist bump saying it was for good luck. He definitely seems to be in a better mood today than he has been, which makes me feel a bit better as we go around in the pace laps.

I'm lined up sixth and beside Alex who's in fifth.

As the green flag drops, we all bunch together as we go down the front stretch and into turn one. Chase is fighting off Kyle Busch out of turn two and ultimately comes out ahead down the back.

The tension is a bit high between the two of them.

I low key keep my fingers crossed because I want him to have a good day just as much as I do for myself. Even though luck usually is never on my side... it never hurts to gamble for the best.

•••

Stage one ends with Chase in first, and Alex in second. I'm fourth with Kyle Busch in third. I've got Brad and Joey behind me as I pull into pit road for the end of stage pit stop.

My crew gets to work and makes a track bar adjustment as they swap out the old tires for some new ones and top me off on fuel. I keep my position, but the slots behind me shuffle a bit.

It lines Kevin Harvick up behind me.

Gripping the steering wheel, I hear Eric, my spotter, come on radio, "looks like we've got our best friends all around us with the eighteen beside us and the four behind us."

"Fan-fricking-tastic!" I chime in.

"Just try to get out of there (F/n). Leap around first chance you get on the outside if possible."

"Yessir."

We begin stage two and I get door to door with Kyle, Harvick already at my bumper. I start to feel really warm as sweat slicks my fingers underneath my gloves. We get through the first turns and go down the back. I push towards the left as I'm on the top lane and I peek out, yet Alex blocks me. Harvick closes and takes my spot, shuffling me back a few spots.

"Mission failed boys..." I mumble on the radio.

"Nice try. Stick with them."

And so I do, following as Harvick gets to Alex and passes him for second about half way through the stage. We're all about single file, moving around here and there, just to maintain our position until the end where the real fun starts.

Chase has a decent lead of about four seconds ahead, his camaro a rocket today. Kyle is a bit out on his own with Kevin slowly working his way to him. I've danced around with Joey going back and forth and I came out in sixth, closing in on Denny now who has worked his way up from failing the pre race inspection.

"Looking for a caution soon. It's about that time..." Cliff says to me.

So far it's been an amazingly smooth race.

But that's just so far...

I have a feeling I might see some sparks fly as Kevin works his way to Chase, still Hell bent from last year. I get a run and get to the quarter panel of the eleven and I pull him back as we go around the turn and through the front straightaway. I can see some fans standing as our battle heats up.

I push my car harder, knowing he is faster than me right now, and I can feel the rumble in my steering wheel as I grip it tighter through the turn.

I quickly switch my position and dive below him through the end of turn two and I get side by side with him. I slowly let my car creep up the track to push him up, but he pulls ahead a bit more.