8

"Hey hun. Just giving you a call to wish you luck! Sorry your dad couldn't be there... he really wanted to since it's Bristol and all."

"Thanks mom. No worries, I understand that he's sick. I know you both will be cheering me on through the TV!" I smile into the phone.

Mom usually doesn't come to the races. She grew up with it so she's more or less burnt out on it. Her dad was a racer... not in NASCAR but just at his local track back in the day. She'd always tell me stories of herself when she was little and being around all of the older guys and girls with their fancy gas-smelling race cars.

"Just be careful (F/n). You know I always worry about you going out there all the time and I really don't want to see you get hurt."

"Mom I promise you that the cars are equipped with top notch safety features. Don't worry about me. I think it's everyone else you need to worry about!" I start to laugh as I remember the Daytona five hundred and how I spun around and around at the finish line.

"I know, I know. If anything just have fun."

"I always do."

•••

I've been here in the Truck races and the Xfinity races, but being here for the Cup series is a whole new feeling.

This is where I've always wanted to be.

And now I'm here.

I've just finished my practice laps and needless to say I'm not too shabby. I'm not too nervous about qualifying since Cliff said I'm posting top five speeds. Top ten is where I'm hoping to land for the starting grid.

"(F/n)!"

I look up and see William walking up to me, "Hey Byron what's up? Little early for my pre-race pep talk..." I smile softly.

"Yeah don't worry I'll have that for you tomorrow," he winks, "But I was wondering if you wanted to maybe come greet some fans with me?"

My eyes widen just a tad. Since my start at the Cup series I've been decently popular just for being at Hendrick Motorsports and for the fact that I'm the only female competing in the Cup series. Somewhere in there is the fact that I'm a pretty good driver.

Or so I think at least.

Needless to say, my fan greetings are mixed with different types of motivated people. But I don't have too big of a crowd just yet.

I shrug, "yeah I don't mind tagging along. We've got plenty of time to spare."

He nods and we walk off of pit road and over to the open garage area so I can mingle with the people. William almost immediately gets swamped with some of his fans. There's a lot of little kids that are decked out in twenty four gear and he greets them all with his classic smile and loving attitude.

It warms my heart really. He's pretty good with kids and is such a really nice guy. I'm glad he's my teammate.

"(F/n)! Hi! How are you?!" A girl walks up to me with excitement in her eyes.

I turn and smile, "Hi! I'm doing good so far. How about yourself?" I reach and grab the pen she's extending to me to sign her hat with my sponsor and car number on it.

Her smile widens even more, "Oh just fine. Even better now! Thank you so much and hope you have a good day today. Best of luck tomorrow!"