43

"Drivers. Start. Your. Engines!"

I flick the switch and the heartbeat of the forty eight roars to life, giving a little shake with all the horsepower.

"I can feel a good one today boys... let's get it." I say calmly into my helmet to my team.

"Rodger that," Cliff says.

I follow behind Denny Hamlin as we roll out onto the track of Charlotte Motor Speedway.  It's a full crowd today I heard, which only adds to my adrenaline rush. A lot of my fans are here in those stands.

And I'm hungry for a win.

I line up in sixth, next to Denny in fifth. William is in second next to our pole sitter Joey Logano. Chase is back in twelfth.

Alex is in fifteenth.

I glance back in my mirrors as I get a small glimpse of his car. And my heart feels heavy at the events from last night. I shake my head and focus my eyes forward at the rear end of the car in front of me.

My hands tighten around the steering wheel as we all come around turn four to the green flag. The pace car goes in and we group together. The flag drops and I floor the gas.

I shift through the gears and push past the start line.

•••

I've pushed myself into third after bouncing around in the top ten.

I've got a great car today.

We only just started stage two, as the first stage was uneventful. I have kept my focus on myself and not so much on those around me, letting Eric, my spotter, keep me updated on everyone jostling around. Everyone on my team keeps hyping me up as I gain momentum and cleanly get past everyone.

My hands tighten around my steering wheel as I bank into turn three now off the back stretch. I've got about a car length until I catch Denny Hamlin in second. Joey is still holding first.

I've noticed the four of Kevin Harvick peeking behind me every so often. He's been back and forth with Brad so far. I'm glad because it's holding them and almost everyone else up giving me a decent gap.

"Almost to the halfway point of stage two (F/n) keep running your line and you can probably catch the eleven," Eric radios in.

"Got it. Anything with those behind me?"

"Only concerned about the four showing some good speed so he might come alive at the end. Just keep making distance."

I nod to myself with determination and focus my eyes on the rear of the eleven car.

A win is coming.

I can feel it.

•••

"This is good for us," Cliff says as I slow my car down for the caution.

Only twelve laps to go and someone in the back spun from some contact and blew their tire. It's good for me as Cliff said since I was starting to fall off the pace and loose Denny.

My tires are quite worn so I follow the leaders in front of me and roll down pit road. I get a quick tire change and some fuel. I take back off and come out in the same position being third.