36

My hands grip the steering wheel as I turn the car hard left. I down shift and bring the car to a stop. My crew flies out and jacks the car up on its side and the guns whir as they take off the lug nuts.

Rinse and repeat.

Rinse and repeat.

Rinse and repeat.

My body aches by the time I slide out. Cliff comes up to me, note pad in hand and says "You've done some nice improving since this time last year (F/n). Good work. However, you're still sliding a bit too much when you enter."

I nod, "I'll work on it, thanks. But hey, progress is progress right?" I wipe the sweat from my forehead.

"Sure is. I'm going to go make some last minute adjustments before we start loading the car up." He gives me a thumbs up and grabs his mug that I got him over our break, taking a sip as he walks back through the door to the practice area.

I gather up my things and as I make my way in, I pass the nine team with Chase trailing not too far behind. He nods at me, hands griping the handles of his duffel bag that has his helmet and other gear. I wave and give him a smile as I pass.

This is our last practice before we head to Daytona next Sunday for the five hundred... and Chase just hasn't been himself lately. I've caught him looking frustrated at the practice sheets that was recorded from his sessions and he just shakes his head and throws the stack of papers down before he climbs back in his car, insisting he go again for another round.

I know last season he was beating himself up over the Championship and not making it to the final four thanks to Kevin Harvick... and that he was feeling the pressure before then about not living up to his father's legend. I tried to talk to him and reassure him while we were in Florida at the beach house and he seemed to lighten up.

What happened after I saw him last?

Something settles in my gut as I think about how I'm going into this season with two rivals... Kevin and Kyle. I took on that battle with Harvick for Chase, but I know I'm not the main focus. Chase is. So he will feel most of the heat, not me. Kyle had backed off a bit but he still gives me snarky remarks and pushes me hard on the track.

I feel like it's going to be a rough season.

I go up to the lounge room where Alex and William are so I can say my goodbyes until Sunday. After climbing the steps and getting through the door I see them both intently looking down at Chase's session.

"Everything okay?" I ask and set my bag down on the floor.

I get next to Alex and look out the viewing window and he just lightly shakes his head, "I don't know..."

I see Chase climbing out of his car and exasperatedly waving his hands in frustration as he says something to Alan. He aggressively points at his car and shakes his head. "Something's got ahold of him," William mumbles.

"Yeah I've noticed that the last few sessions he has been so frustrated it seems. I was wondering if you guys might know anything?" I say, crossing my arms as I step back from the window.

Alex looks at me and shakes his head, "we were gonna ask you the same thing."

I sigh, "I know last season he was frustrated with himself and his performance. But I thought maybe with a new season he'd be calm and look at it like a fresh page."