7

I walk up to my forty eight car, tugging my hair back and out of my face with the black hair tie. I can feel the ground rumble as the few cars out in practice fly by.

Las Vegas... This track was never nice to me in either the Truck or Xfinity series. I doubt it'll be any better this time around.

I see William and a few others getting ready to go out for our practice round. He looks up at me with a grin and smiles. I nod and wave back. He's always so nice to me. Alex always likes to pick on me in a playful way, and Chase is coming around more. Still quiet, but he will joke around with me and sometimes he will text me, sending some funny or cool videos that he finds. Ryan Blaney has even grown on me a bit too.

After our little party in the rain at Homestead, I've been in their little friend circle. Sometimes Ryan will force me onto a call with him and Chase and I just watch them play video games while he tries to get me to get a console to join them. Back home I used to play a few games here and there, but I don't think I'm really the best at it. Not compared to them at least.

"Hey (F/n)."

I turn and smile at Chase walking up to me with his hands stuffed in his fire suit's pockets, "yeah, hey Chase! What's up?"

He takes his blue and white Napa hat off and runs his hand through his dark brown hair, then setting his hat back atop his head like he usually does. "Say after practice come get a bite with the team? If you're hungry..."

"Heck yeah I'm always ready for food! Where are we going?"

"It's just a smaller place not too far out from here. Every time we come to this track we all go. They've got some good stuff there" he nods.

"Alright cool. After I get done I'll head and get changed and I'll meet you guys...?"

"Ill walk over to get you and we can meet them in the driver's parking lot."

I grin, "sweet, thanks for inviting me."

He nods again and gives me a small fist bump before turning to head towards his car to get ready. I watch as his muscles contract slightly through the fabric of his racing suit as he walks. He gets to his car and takes his hat off, and puts his ear pieces in.

He glances over at me for a second and does a double take, realizing I'm looking at him too. He gives me a small smile and a nod and then slides into his Napa Chevy.

I tuck my ear pieces in and slide into my car as well. After securing my helmet, Cliff comes over and helps put up the window net. "Based on your previous stats this isn't your best place. Hopefully we can change that tomorrow if we show some strength here in the practice laps."

I nod, "Yeah I've never been the best at gambling," I smile, "Sometimes I like to think I'm a magnet for bad things..."

Cliff latches the last clasp for the net, "Thinking like that won't get you very far either there (F/n)."

I flip down my visor and turn the car on. The engine roars to life and the sound fills my ears. The vibration runs through my body. Cliff taps the top of the car and makes his way up to the pit box.

I take off but my mind isn't entirely on the track.

"Why is it that whenever I think I have something good, it all turns down to shit?!"

My voice is raw from the strain of yelling. My eyes red from the flow of tears.

"What is so wrong with-"

No. I take a deep breath and slowly exhale. I won't think about that now. Not ever. That part of my life is over. I've left behind those that hurt me. I left him behind and I'm here surrounded by good people doing my favorite thing.