38

Chase's P.O.V

I get to my hauler and let out a frustrated growl as I lean forward over the counter and run both of my hands through my hair. I just sit there and stare at the white counter top and focus on my breathing.

I was right there but my car just fell off the pace.

Why can't I keep up?!

I close my eyes and let the cool air wrap around me. I hear a knock and I jolt up, opening the door to find William. "Hey."

"Hey." I step aside and let him in.

"Stop it," he says and points a finger at me.

I arch an eyebrow, "stop what?"

"This!" He exasperatedly gestures to me. "Stop moping. You got third, Chase. Third. I got fifteenth and you did really well all day today."

I blink and sigh, looking away.

"You blew off the interview and you blew off (F/n). I was watching."

"I didn't blow (F/n) off. I'd never do that. I just needed to cool off. I don't want her or anyone to get worried because I just need time to get over this haunch."

William sighs, "What are you doing this week?"

I shrug, "Same as usual. Not a whole lot."

"Come to my place. We're hanging out, just me and you, and we are going to work on this."

I give him a weak smile, "Alright."

He gives me a pat on the shoulder, "It's all going to work out Chase." And his eyes hold mine for a few moments before he turns and heads out.

I stand there and just take a moment.

I hope so...

•••

I knock on the huge brown door and wait a few. Then, I hear footsteps and the door swings open, revealing William in some comfy red shorts and a plain shirt. He smiles at me and steps aside to let me inside. "There's the man of the hour!"

I chuckle, "Here for our play date."

He playfully rolls his eyes as he shuts the door behind me. I take off my shoes, leaving me in my stripped socks, black sweatpants and grey T-shirt, and he leads me from his huge living room to the downstairs basement area. There's a huge set up of computer monitors and this seat, steering wheel, pedals, and a shifter. My eyes widen and mouth drops just a bit.

"Racing simulator." He says and walks me over.

"Wow."

He grins, "It's just like the real thing, only it isn't. I want you to set it up about how you normally would have your car. Do a few laps and let's figure out what's going on and what you might be able to do differently."

I nod, "okay."

He pats the seat and I slide in. He helps me adjust everything and navigate this system. Once I get my "car" all set up about right he starts the program. It loads and then the screen fills with how it would be in an actual driver's point of view.