57

"Hey Chase."

"Yeah?" he says.

"I am curious..." I say slowly, "What about Andrea? Weren't you like... with her? Or something? What happened with that?"

He's right across from me as we wait for our breakfast plates to be brought out to our table. After quite the celebration last night, we are enjoying a nice and quiet late morning at this local diner. 

Chase told me it's his favorite.

He nods, "Andrea is my childhood friend. She moved away right about when I started getting serious about racing and I hadn't heard from her since" he glances down, fumbling with the paper wrap from his straw. "Then, she popped up that night at the airport. I was shocked to see her honestly. Dad told me a while ago that her father was planning a trip over here to visit, but I didn't know it was going to be then. Since I hadn't seen her in so long, I really wasn't for sure on how to act or what to say. But no, we were never together. And to be completely honest with you, I think it was funny how she decided to act all friendly and wanted to be a part of my life once I hit the opportunity to go to the Championship Four. Just made me realize she is just like everyone else..."

He pauses and then looks back up at me.

"(F/n)."

"Yeah?"

"I just want you to know that I've liked you for a while now."

I blink, unsure what to say or even do.

He continues, "I just wasn't able to really grasp that before and I was honestly afraid to admit it. When I was with Andrea, the only person I could think about was you. I think that's when it really clicked for me. There was nobody else that I wanted to be there with more than you." 

He chuckles, "She even tried to get me to dance with her at this festival thing my mom set up and the whole time... I wanted it to be you. And then when you ran up to me in victory lane... I just..." he shakes his head and I see his face flush, "I wish time could have stood still in that very moment."

I take in a deep breath and I reach for his hand, resting mine on top of his. He moves and interlocks our fingers cautiously. I look at him and give him a soft smile, "For the record, I've liked you for a while now too."

He smiles, "I guess we both were just too dumb to see it then, huh?"

I shrug, "That's what Kat kept telling me at least" and he chuckles at that.

"Awe, Chase honey, it is so nice seeing you with someone" our waitress, Miss Patty as I have been informed, coos as she places our plates in front of us.

He gives my hand a squeeze before he lets go, "Thanks" he nods at her.

She looks at me and grins, her eyes sparkling, "You two enjoy! Breakfast is on me." She looks at Chase who is about to object, "Consider it my treat to my favorite Champion. Don't tell your father!" and she walks away. He shakes his head with a cheeky smile.

We both dig in, Chase tackling his breakfast burrito and me enjoying one of the best BLT sandwiches I've had in a while, besides mom's of course. Mom always makes a killer breakfast. Too bad her cooking talent didn't instill itself in my DNA.

"So, now the big question is how is this," I gesture between me and him, "going to work? Like with racing and all. Do you think Mister Hendrick is going to be okay with it?"

He wipes his mouth with his napkin and goes, "Guess we will find out. I don't see a problem unless we start favoring each other on the track."

I nod, "Yeah nothing will change between us while we are racing. But if you wreck me I might get a bit salty" I wink at him.