1

Deep breath in.

Deep breath out.

40 cars.

One track.

One trophy.

You've done this before, but this time is very, very, different. You are in the big leagues this time as a rookie NASCAR Cup Series driver. You can hear the announcers introduce the other drivers ahead of you as they line up on the grid, slowly moving forward up to the stage. Your heart thumps wildly as you're about to make your debut.

You close your eyes and feel the thunder of the crowd as they hoot and holler for their favorite drivers.

The crowd cheers as the cars go by in the opening pace laps, the sound of roaring engines and people filling your ears. You look over at the man next to you.

He looks over at you and has the same glowing look of excitement in his eyes. "I hope you're ready," he grins and pats your back, "because this is Bristol Baby!"

The green flag waves and the feeling you get, you'll never forget.

The feeling of the cars as they fly by down the straightaway echoes through your body. It vibrates from the stands to your toes and into your feet and up your spine and into your finger tips.

Your heart pounds with excitement and your grin stretches wide. And you knew right then that you were in love.

"Woohoo! Go boys go!" The man next to you hollers over the crowd.

Dad.

"And now, probably the most popular rookie this year, driver of the Hendrick Motorsports forty eight, (F/N) (L/N)!"

Everything seems to slow down as you absorb and take it all in. The roaring crowd, the flashing lights, the massive track. Everything. It takes your breath away.

You wave at everyone and the cameras, giving the biggest smile you think you've ever given. You see the big screen giving you some spotlight with previous race footage from your Xfinity and Truck series victory burnouts, along with a dramatic pan up your body, finally revealing your face and name. You walk down the little stage and follow the driver ahead of you to the Chevrolet trucks that will take you and everyone else around the track to celebrate the start of a new season.

It was time for the Daytona five hundred.