41

"Look at you! Winnin' and stuff!"

Chase smiles at me as he takes off his hat and runs his fingers through his hair, soaked from sweat.

He just finished the big show in victory lane and the officials are coming to push his car for the post race inspection. I give him a soft smile, tilting my head to the side a bit, "Do you feel a bit better now?"

He looks at me, eyes piercing into mine. There's a pause and then, "Yes. I feel a lot better now. And I'm really sorry (F/n)."

"For what? Winning because I ought to-"

"For worrying you and everyone."

I blink, then smirk, "Good. Don't do it again! You're amazing." I chuckle and wink at him.

I walk up to him and give him a fist bump. He then grabs my shoulders and pulls me in for a hug. His chin rests on my head and I see a few flashes behind us as he does. "Thank you."

He gives me a quick pat on the back and then he lets me go. I stand there, a bit flustered, and smile back at him "Always."

•••

Stuffing my helmet and gloves in my duffel bag, I jump as I hear a light knock on the hauler door. I turn and it opens to Kat with a grin on her face.
"Way to go! Great finish girl!"

I smile and zip up my bag. I turn to her and she gives me a big hug. I pat her back and then she smirks at me, "Looks like Chase had a bit of a breakthrough too..."

"Something... he was oddly in a good mood today. But I'm glad because I think it was a boost for him. Lord knows he needed it too..."

She pats my shoulder, "Maybe someone had a chat with him and was able to strike fear into his heart to stop moping around so much," she chuckles.

"Not sure if anyone can jostle that man Kat. He just absorbs it all," I laugh.

She arches her eyebrows, "given the right reasons I think it's possible."

She winks at me and then heads back to the hauler door, "I'm just glad all is good in the kingdom now. Only thing to make it even better is for you to bring home the next win."

I smirk, "It's next on my list."

"Goodnight (F/n). I'll see you next week."

And with that she leaves, the door clicking shut.

And for some reason, a pit in my stomach forms.

•••

"I'm glad he finally won honey. I know you were worried about him. Hopefully he will be in better spirits for a bit."

"Yeah, thankfully."

My mom sighs, "You know you two are also getting a lot of exposure. Pictures of you two hugging after his win are circulating all over the racing news."

I swap my hands to hold my phone as I dig in my drawer for this shirt that is stuck, "It's fine, honestly."

"I know it bothers you. Not like, bothers you but I can tell you wish it weren't just speculation. You're hoping for something to happen."

"Maybe. But I feel like if I tell people we aren't a thing then he might get the wrong idea. If he likes me as well that is..."

"Just say something to him (F/n)!"

"One day."

"What else is bothering you? I can tell because you're being short and sweet with me."

I smirk, "I just feel off. I'm upset but I don't know why."