58

"See, it all worked out!"

I just finished settling back in at my apartment and decided to give my mom a call. I talked to her a bit right after the race Sunday when we landed in Georgia, but she didn't want to keep me too long so we didn't get much of a chance to talk.

"Yeah" I smile, "That it did."

"I will give him a bop on the head for all that crap with that Andrea girl. Breaking my baby girl's heart..."

"We're all good mom, no bopping is needed."

"I'm happy for you sweetie. I know you were head over heels for him and now he's all yours."

I blush, "It doesn't feel real. But I think we are both in this weird stage where we are trying to blur the lines of being teammates and previously just friends, to now being boyfriend and girlfriend."

"Just don't blur the lines too much too quickly because it's too early for grandchildren."

I face palm, "Mom!"

"I'm just saying! I want a few grandbabies, but give it a few more decades."

I roll my eyes, "You kill me."

She laughs, "I'm sure ya'll will figure it out. Just be yourselves and it will fall into place."

"That's basically what I told him. We sort of talked about it the other night... kinda."

"What about your friend Alex? How is he doing? I thought you were telling me he might be losing his seat."

I sigh and look down at my feet, "I haven't really spoke to him. Our team meeting is next week so I imagine we will get the low-down then. Chase thinks they are bringing Noah Gragson onboard. He doesn't seem to like the idea, but hasn't really told me why."

"That's the kid who took your spot while you were out, right?"

"Mhm. He did pretty good honestly. I don't have a problem except for the fact that I do and it's because he's booting Alex out. But it isn't his fault I guess..."

"Maybe Chase is jealous."

"Of what?"

"I dunno. Maybe something happened between them or they don't have good chemistry, who knows."

"I'll find out one way or another. Every time I bring it up with Chase, he leaves the subject pretty quickly."

"Hm. Well hun, hope for the best."

"I'm doing just that."

"And your trip with Kat, when is that?"

"In a few more weeks, early December. I'm excited to go! She's got us booked at this resort and she has each day planned to the minute. Needless to say we are getting pampered and enjoying more than the view at the beach while we are there," I chuckle.

"Hell, where's my ticket girl?!"

We talk for another hour, just checking in and catching up. I talk to my dad a little bit and tell him I will be in this year for Christmas so I can be with everyone. The last two years I didn't quite make it home but I know that this year, I have to make more of an effort. And since I have partly stepped away from my fear of flying, it will open up more windows for me to go back home.

After we get off the phone I stretch and lean back into my couch. It's early afternoon and I know Chase is currently flying back to Georgia right now. I just sit there with my eyes closed and a light smile on my face, soaking it all in.

...

"Soooo, what do you want for your birthday?"

Chase ruffles his hair and rocks back in the chair as he thinks. It's late and we're Facetiming and I almost forgot his birthday is in two weeks. There's too much happening so I feel like my head is on a swivel.