2

You worked so hard to get to this point in your career as a NASCAR driver. It all started with that road trip to Bristol for the Food City five hundred with your dad.

He was your racing buddy.

Your passion for the thundering cars ignited a drive within you and so then decided to give it your best shot. With the money you saved, you started a very small kart team and worked your way up. Everyone said you had a natural talent, which led you to move up and find sponsors and teams easily. You received a lot of backlash, but kept your focus on having fun and winning races to make you and your family proud.

It was an escape, really.

Before your mind started drifting into the past too far, you felt a hand rest on your shoulder.

You look up from slipping on your racing shoes and saw your dad beaming down at you through his glasses. He wore a grey shirt with your black car and neon blue number on it with his usual blue jeans and comfy converse. The matching hat atop his head, hiding his dark, greying hair. You stood and wrapped your arms around him in a strong hug.

"I want you to know that I am so proud of you (F/n) and that you're going to do just fine."

"Thanks dad. I'm going to do my best. Maybe with a little bit of luck, I'll snag that trophy," you smiled.

"Don't get the big head now," your dad laughed.

"Hey, I always told you that one day I promised I was going to race here in the twenty four car and get you tickets to watch me win all of the races," you smirked, "and even though this is the forty eight, I still intend to keep that promise."

There was an indescribable look of what was perhaps joy and reminiscence in his eyes as he smiled and saluted you before turning away up to the pit box to watch all of the action with your crew members.

"Hey (F/n). I just want to go over our final game plan for the day" your crew chief, Cliff Daniels, says as he comes up next to you.

You nod and listen as the rest of your team makes sure your black and neon blue Chevrolet Camaro is perfect for the opening race of the season.

•••

"Drivers. Start. Your. Engines!"

The car roars to life, as do the others around you. "Hey guys. I'm looking forward to a great season with you all. Let's do our best to put this machine in victory lane, alright?" You come on over the radio to your team.

"Go show em' what you got!" Cliff replies.

The pace laps are under way and you're lined up in the 15th position, in front of William Byron, your new teammate, and right behind Kyle Busch. William has been pretty friendly with you and has been encouraging and giving you some pointers. He even came up and gave you a pep talk before you started heading towards your car. Kyle, however, was polite but had an arrogant type of energy to him. He really downplayed you being a champion in the Xfinity series and put you on edge a bit. But, maybe after a few races he will loose the ice chip on his shoulder.

You really didn't want any rivals...

Everyone on your team has been pretty chill with you. Alex came up to you before you hopped in the cock pit and gave you a little fist bump, wishing you luck. He warmed up to you quickly and you were glad for the friendly atmosphere.

Chase was quiet, but polite, and didn't say much to you. When you had gone to meet everyone on the Hendrick team, he just watched you and gave you small smiles every now and then if you ever shared a glance at each other. Even today as you were walking towards your car, you happened to lock eyes and he gave you a curt nod.