44

Chase's P.O.V

I sit here in the waiting room. All by my lonesome. It's been about an hour, and I've not heard a single thing. With each passing minute my heart races and races.

I stare at a spot in the tile with my hands clasped together and head hanging low. My throat tight and face chilled from the tears I shed on my way here.

Matter of fact, I can't say I remember how I got here. I got out of my truck, half ran and half walked to the receptionist, still stricken and sweaty in my NAPA fire suit. Her eyes glanced over me and replied with "How can I help you? Here to visit?"

"(F/n) (L/n)," I said quickly, "She's here?"

She typed and after a few seconds she nodded slowly, "yes sir she just arrived."

"What's her condition?" My heart picked up speed.

She shook her head, "I'm sorry I do not know that part. What's your name? You can wait here and we will keep you updated."

So now here I am...

I bounce my leg in anticipation. I lean back and let out a sigh and rub my hands over my face. But then, I hear the doors swoosh open and I look over and see Ryan. He's changed into his regular clothes and has a small duffel bag in hand. He gives me a sad grin and comes over. He lets out a small sigh as he sits down next to me and he pats my back.

"Hey man," he says softly.

"Hey."

"Holding up okay?"

I shrug.

He nods slowly. "I brought you a change of clothes. They're mine, but I doubt you want to be sitting around in your sweaty ol' racing suit," he gives me a slight grin.

I eye the bag and blink at it.

"I'll be right here in case they come out with any information. Go change."

I chew my bottom lip for a second then grab the handles and slowly get up. The coolness of the hospital air hits my back and legs and it sends chills up my spine. My eyes burn and I feel so tired from today.

But I make my way to the bathroom. I pick a stall and slowly unzip my suit, peeling it off my body. The cold hits my bare skin that was damp with sweat. Sudden goose bumps coating my skin, I take a deep inhale and feel the air escape my body as I exhale, feeling my muscles relax. Just for this moment I let myself breathe. Let myself relax.

But then I slide on Ryan's clothes and stuff my racing suit into the bag. I then go and splash some cold water on my face and run some water through my hair, letting it cool me down and ease my mind. I look at myself in the mirror, watching the water droplets fall from my chin.

I blink.

All I can see when I close my eyes is her car flying overhead. And all I still hear in the silence is the sound of her car slamming into the ground, crunching the sheet metal.

After I finish, I slowly make my way back over to Ryan. He looks at me as I sit down with a sigh. I lean back in the chair and set the duffel bag on the ground.