53

I hate wanting to be good at something, but never being able to be good at it.

That's exactly how I feel about Martinsville. Just like last year, I wrecked out. I simply cannot keep my car straight around this paperclip. It's the final race before the championship and the emotions are high, especially for those few who are contenders. Chase is especially on edge.

I watch his Night Owl Hooters Camaro go around, trying to stick on the tight inside corner, as he works his way up the field. I think out of all of his sponsors, that the NAPA and the Hooters cars are my favorite. Especially when he wears that black and orange racing suit... However, the one thing I find myself hating about the Hooters car, is all the girls that come with it. 

There's that spark of jealousy I get when I see him before the race standing with these stunning, supermodel-esque girls in tight tank tops and booty shorts just hanging all over him. I know it's their job to be on brand and all, but...

I wonder what I would look like in one of those outfits...

He always seems to be super comfortable doing it too. I mean, I guess it's not a hard life to live when you're a young, attractive guy who gets to take pictures with a bunch of girls for a living... but I have to keep the jealousy down and convince myself that he isn't attracted to them.

Or is secretly dating one of them...

"I think it's a bit too tight. I want to loosen it up in this coming pit stop" Chase comes in over the radio. Considering my previous train of thought, the comment catches me off guard and makes me blush.

I have a headset on my head so I can listen in from on top of his pit box. I then hear Alan go "Noted, we will get you set come the end of the stage."

It's just the beginning of the second stage and since the track is so small, the laps just fly by. So far, Chase is scored tenth and is weaving his way up. Denny is up at the front in first with Brad taking fifth. Joey is trailing in the back of the pack, not doing so hot this time around. Chase didn't get the best qualifying lap so he had to start about mid in the field, but as I said before, he's really a rocket today.

Even though I can't beat this track worth a damn, one thing I love is how loud it is. Car after car after car, the noise is encapsulating and you can feel the power work through every fiber in your body. 

Coming through the turn I see smoke and hear a few bangs of the sheet metal as a small heap of cars wreck. My heart lurches and hope that Chase isn't involved... I look up at the screen and see it was a few cars from the back of the field.

He's safe.

"Come in and lets get that adjustment" Alan says.

"Rodger that."

I peer over the rail from the pit box and watch as his car swings into his pit box. His pit crew jumps over the wall and jacks up the right side of his car, taking tires off and replacing them. I see one stick in the wrench to provide the adjustment in the back window. They then they the car down and take on the other side, getting some fuel in the process. 

I can't help but smile as he takes off and gets a good jump off pit road, scoring him sixth.

He's got this.

And for the rest of the stage, I watch, heart thundering in my chest at every bump and spin, hoping he gets his shot.

...

I stand there with my arms crossed over my chest, being changed into a black T-shirt and some plain light blue skinny jeans and shoes, a dark red cardigan sweater to fight against the slight chill of the season. My smile is wider than ever as I behold Chase in victory lane next to the grandfather clock trophy.