42

Chase's P.O.V

"Chase, she really cares about you, you know."

I toss over in my bed, my mind replaying those words over and over. It makes my heart leap at the thought that just maybe (F/n) might- no. I don't want to get my hopes up.

She cares about me as a teammate.

But I can't help but think about her beautiful (E/c) eyes and the way her lips curl up with her typical bright smile. My heart aches as I want to feel her hands in mine as she looks at me that way. How I want to just hold her and tell her everything about how I feel.

Hearing those words brought my feelings to the surface... and I need to try and push them down again.

I roll back onto the other side of my bed and see the time is two in the morning.

I wanted to tell her today when we went out for Hibachi. I wanted to so badly. After I walked her back to her apartment, memories of when she kissed my cheek the night of the awards banquet made me all flustered and nervous that I just stood there like a bum.

I realized after Katrina had talked to me and after I won last weekends race that I really was distance myself from (F/n) and everyone else. At that realization, it made my heart deflate a little bit and I wanted to try and make it up to her in some way.

But my mind keeps going back to what she told me on pit road... I find myself grinning at the ceiling with my eyes closed as I replay "She really cares about you, you know" and I feel like a little boy again with a school crush again.

I sigh and rub my eyes. I need sleep.

Your P.O.V

I park my car in the drivers parking lot at Charlotte Motor Speedway. I get out, grab my bag, fling it over my shoulder, and weave my way through the cars and over to the haulers to get ready for practice and qualifying for tomorrows race.

I find the black and neon blue forty-eight hauler and I waltz to the open door as one of my crew members steps out with a few tools. I close and lock the door and set my bag down on the little counter area so I can change into my racing suit. It slides on over my black athletic shorts and my usual black shirt that I wear. I zip it up and velcro the waistband strap. Then I tie on my racing shoes, pull my hair back after giving it a quick brush, and adjust my cuffs as I step out again into the nice breezy air of today.

At the car, Cliff gives me our main focus points and I nod, grabbing my ear pieces to stick them in. Out of the corner of my eye I see Harvick at his car, eyeing me. I pause and hold his gaze until his eyes flick away and goes back to talking to one of his crew members.

I get into my car and slide my helmet on after adjusting the seat straps. Then, I put my racing gloves on and fire up the engine. It roars loud as ever  and gets my adrenaline pumping.

With that, I peel out of pit road and start my practice laps.

•••

"Alright our session time is up (F/n), bring it in."

At Cliffs broadcast, I take the final turn and ease it onto pit lane and into the garage area so we can get everything together for our qualifying session later after practice ends for everyone.