55

Chase's P.O.V

Today's the day.

I get to spend the night celebrating my chance at the championship race and then I'll fly to Phoenix tomorrow morning to do practice and qualifying. Then, it all boils down to Sunday. My nerves are all over the place honestly. I've had a pretty decent season I'd say and it's had ups and downs, but I've got a shot so I'm going to give it everything I have.

I open my text messages and feel my heart sink as I realize I never did text (F/n) and she hasn't messaged me. I feel like something is wrong and that I did something, but I'm afraid to say anything. I keep replaying the night I last saw her after flying her here to Georgia with me because her mood instantly changed once-

"Chasey!" Andy pokes her head into my room through the doorway.

I raise my eyebrows, "Hey, what's up?"

"You ready?" She wiggles her eyebrows at me in a goofy way.

It's roughly 5pm and I know the little festival celebration thingy mom has set up starts in about an hour.

"We're going already?" I get up from sitting on the side of my bed and stretch.

"Yeah, guest of honor needs to beat the massive crowd we are expecting."

I chuckle, "Okay, I'll be down in a minute."

Andy smiles at me before disappearing from the doorway. I open my messages again and send (F/n) a message. I pause before sending it, but it's been weighing me down for a while and especially all week since I've seen her.

I watch and wait a few to see if she replies. 

Nothing.

I sigh and slide my phone into my pocket and give myself another once-over in the mirror, fixing a strand of my hair and pulling my black jacket over the grey hoodie I have on. Nothing fancy. Just a casual look paired with some jeans and shoes. Then, I head downstairs where everyone is waiting for me. Andy has on a pink puffy vest with a black, long-sleeved turtle neck paired with jeans and knee-high black boots. Her hair is down and curled and she honestly looks really pretty.

"Alrighty, man of the hour, lets get going!" Mom says warmly, "Are ya'll driving separate from us? The Thompson's are already down there."

I shrug, "Sure. That way I can dip out after the fun is over."

Mom rolls her eyes, "You will stay for a hot minute Chase. I put too much effort into making this work in under a week."

"I know, I know, thank you," I give her a quick side hug and then grab my truck keys. I look over at Andy, "Riding with me?"

She smiles, "Absolutely!"

Mom gets this look in her eyes and I just walk on past, opening the door for everyone, "Lets go then."

...

We pull up in the reserved parking lot. I already see a few reporters to capture the small town event. There's already a little crowd and I can smell food from the vendors that have set up their canopy's along the street. I spot a few merchandise vendors as well mostly selling shirts and hats. There's lights flickering on and the sound of music is faint in the background of the crowd. 

"Aw, this look so cute!" Andy says and unbuckles her seatbelt.

"Mhm," I hum and pull out my phone again. Still nothing from (F/n) and it makes my heart deflate.

"Ready?"

"Ready," I nod.

We open the doors and I already see a few flashes from the camera. I smile and allow a few of the media reporters get a couple of good shots. I'm sure I'll see it all over Twitter later. However, it does warm my heart to see my hometown and fans gathered here to celebrate the fact that I am even going to the championship race.