15

Atlanta Motor Speedway. One of the most fun, yet difficult tracks. I slip my helmet off after I get out of the car from my qualifying run and make my way over to Cliff and the team.

"Are we all set for tomorrow?"

Cliff gives me a thumbs up, "We should be. Got to see how the track is and see what adjustments we will need, but your starting position isn't half bad."

I scoff, "yeah but knowing me I'll end up in the back of the field anyway. This definitely isn't one of my best tracks..."

"Common theme with you and the rest of Hendricks," he grins, "but keep digging and you'll get there."

I give him a pat on the shoulder, "Love the pep talks. But I'm headed out so catch you tomorrow."

He nods and waves me good bye.

I unzip my fire suit and let it hang off my hips as my sweat starts to get a bit unbearable. It's quite hot and I'm a little skeptical about running tomorrow. Last week I had a spell where I got so hot I had to hang onto the car after the race while my team brought me a few bottles of water.

One of which I downed, the other I poured over my head. I'm used to the heat by now, but these last few races have just been extremely hot.

I get to the locker area and grab my bag to go change. After I do that I sit in my motor coach and scroll through some shopping websites. My stomach rumbles as it's now past noon, so I Google what's around.

Suddenly, my phone vibrates and I accidentally drop it from jumping a bit. I grab it and swipe the green circle upwards, "Yes, hello?"

"Whatcha doin'?"

Chase.

"Well I was trying to find a way to stuff my face since I'm starving. What about you?"

"Bugging you."

"Obviously."

There's a pause, "Wanna go out with me?"

My face heats up and my eyes widen as I almost start to choke on air, "W-what?"

"Do you want to go out with me? To like go eat. I was really calling to see if you'd like to come sightseeing with me. Wanted to show you around my home base a little bit if you're interested. I know all you do is sit in that silly motor home instead of being out flying around and doing this and that," he takes a moment before saying "plus I'd like someone to hang out with."

I run my hand through my hair, feeling my heart rate decrease. "Yeah sure that sounds good. I'll see you when you get here."

"I like how you ignored the flying part," I can almost see him smirking from the other end.

"Ha-ha. Yeah I try to drown you out when you start getting on that subject. Just thinking about it makes me nervous..."

"Better hope I don't swoop down from the sky in my helicopter to come get you then!"

"Do it and our friendship is over pal." I hang up on him with a big grin and I go to gather my things.

•••

I see Chase pull up in his truck and I make my way outside. I slip into the passenger seat and click on my seatbelt. "Looks like you didn't want to be rid of me yet," I say.

He grins, "yeah I want to keep you around for just a bit longer. Once I've had enough I'll have to bring the whole fleet of airplanes and helicopters to come get you. Just to emphasize my point."

I laugh, "you're something else Chase."

He pulls onto the main road, "You mean a lot to me (F/n). There's no way I'd ruin what we have. Even if that's means no flying sadly..."