24

Chase's P.O.V

"I hate it when people lie to me Chase."

I stand in the hauler and close my eyes, taking a deep breath. I feel horrible. I didn't exactly lie to her... I just gave her part of the truth. Is it the playoffs? Yes. But it goes deeper than that.

I sit down and rub my temples in slow, circular motions with my fingers. I stop and look at my hands. Just moments ago I held her soft, and kinda sweaty, delicate hand. It was so small compared to mine. I flex my fingers and feel my palms. She reached for me.

God what am I going to do...?

I get up and grab my set of clothes from my bag where I had it in the little makeshift closet everyone uses and set them on the counter space. I unzip my fire suit and unlatch the little belt strap. It falls to my ankles and I step out, picking it up and tossing it onto the counter as well. I grab the end of my black long sleeved shirt with my number on it and peel it from my sweaty torso. I roll my head to the side and stretch my arms as my skin hits the cool air trying to ease the tension in my muscles. Sliding the jeans over my legs, I grab my belt and slide it through the belt loops and finally buckle it. Then, I grab my grey Napa shirt and pull it over my head. I ruffle my hair a bit to get it off of my face and I pack everything up.

I make my way to my truck and see the others talking to William. (F/n) glances at me and just gives me a solemn look. It makes my heart tighten. I throw my bag into my truck and go over to the rest of the group. "You good William?"

He nods and grins, "yeah it's all good. I'm ready to head back and take a dip in the ocean though."

Alex, sweaty as can be says "Boy me too so let's go."

"Are we even allowed to be at that beach this late?" (F/n) asks and looks over at Katrina who's next to Ryan.

She smirks, "It's private so we can if we want to. Plus they have it lit didn't you notice that?"

(F/n) shrugs, "The only thing I notice at this time is usually the back of my eyelids."

Katrina laughs, "girl me too!"

Ryan huffs, "yeah sure you do" and winks.

Kat's face goes red and she bumps into his side, "shut up!"

•••

I stand by and watch as Katrina and Ryan dive into the waves. There are fake and tall tiki torches that are lit up and provide just enough light to be able to see far enough into the water. Plus, the lamps from the outside of the beach house help as well. Looking up, the stars speckle the sky and I can't help but get lost in the deep black space, admiring it.

I feel a hand on my shoulder and I turn to see (F/n) with a grin on her face. She's in a black one-piece baiting suit that has a short little ruffled skirt and the top part dips down a bit on her chest. It really supports her figure and I find myself thinking it looks incredible on her. I swallow and keep my eyes locked on hers.

"Come join us!"

The tension from earlier seems to have swept away thankfully. I give her a small grin, "It's late and I don't want to get all yucky from the sand and all of that."