26

Welp I didn't make it into the round of eight. However, I didn't go out without a fight. Chase ended up winning the cut off race at the Charlotte Roval and I was about five in the hole for points with the mix up of standings. Alex got out too, but William was able to salvage some stage points to put him right above the cut line.

I knew going into that race I would probably be doomed since I'm not by any means a good road course racer. Chase on the other hand has really got talent for them and has earned himself the title of "Road Course King." I bought him a cheap plastic kings crown to wear for the driver introductions and surprisingly, he wore it!

So now here we are at Martinsville Speedway. Another one of my bad tracks and the last race before the championship. Chase's nerves have been through the roof and we've all been doing our best to calm him down. But he's been focused on getting ready and spending extra time at the headquarters during our practices to work out a few bugs.

I fasten my little fire suit waist strap and zip myself up. I brush off a hair and tie my shoes in my hauler. I think back to who is racing today for a shot at the championship... Chase, William, Ryan, Kevin, Kyle, Joey, Martin, and Denny. I'll do my best to stay out of the way and try to not be an actual driving hazard as I normally am at this track.

•••

The cars zip around the tight turns and push down the little straightaway. I sit on top of the nine's pit box with a headset on as I watch Chase nudge at Denny for the lead.

I wrecked out in lap two hundred and six... but I'm super proud as I didn't cause it! It was actually William. He turned as I was on the inside and we got collected and picked up a few extra cars on our way around. Afterwards we met up and he was super apologetic and felt bad.

"William you're the one that was in the playoffs so really I should feel bad..."

"I know but it was my fault and I hate that I took you along with me!"

I chuckle to myself and cross my arms. I have my fire suit hanging off of my hips and just have my black shirt on that I usually wear underneath. I sigh as I bounce my leg, nervous as Chase can't seem to get around Hamlin.

I hear a boom and see a lap car in the wall and it brings out a caution. The cars come down pit road and I lean over the railing and give a big wave at Chase as his crew lifts his car up to put fresh tires on. He sticks his hand out of the window and gives me a little wave back.

"Make sure you get the adjustment for the track bar" Alan says to the crew.

They stick the tool in and give it a twist. They set his car down and he speeds out of his pit box. Chase comes out second and gets to line up beside Denny.

"Here's your shot..." I mumble and stand to watch the restart.

There's about fifty laps to go and it's all said and done. My heart is racing out of my chest and I grip the black railing with my sweaty hands as the pace car comes in.

They all step on the gas as they come to the restart zone and Chase is on the outside. They get into the first turn and Chase's line falls back and my heart drops. Then he rockets forward on the outside down the back and dives into the third turn, neck to neck with Denny. It's a hard battle as Harvick comes up behind Chase and pushes his back bumper.

Chase edges out in front of the eleven but it's still no good. Through the turn, however, Hamlin hits the curb and that gives Chase a golden opportunity. He takes it and surges ahead, claiming the lead. I raise my hands with a grin and shout "Woohoo!"

He leads the field around as Harvick weasels his way past Denny and is coming right up behind Chase.

Eddie, Chase's spotter, radios in "Four coming up behind you. Keep hitting your marks. You're faster when you do."