31

Your P.O.V

"I got... Cliff!"

I scan over the letter I got in the mail today from Hendrick Motorsports. I panicked a little bit because I knew it was too soon to go back to the shop. Turns out it was just a Christmas party announcement! All of the team members will be there and we are randomly selected someone to buy a present for.

It can be serious or funny.

I smirk. I should do something goofy but considering it's my first year I think I'll do something nice instead. Opening the calendar in my phone, I save the date, being December twenty second, and contemplate what I want to get Cliff.

"I literally just went through this too..." I mumble and plop down on the couch.

"He's your crew chief isn't he?" My mom says as she finishes watering her little indoor plant that sits in the corner of the living room. She's had that for as long as I can remember and it just keeps getting bigger year after year.

"Yeah. He's a good guy but I don't know what exactly I'd get him either. He's probably going to be harder than Chase."

"You could just get him a gift card. Take the easy way!" She grins and pulls open the window curtain.

"I could but I feel like that's sort of wimpy considering it's my first year. I want to get him something he will actually like and is an actual gift."

"Well you've got a few weeks so I'm sure you'll find something. At least you aren't waiting until last minute like you did with Chase kind of."

I nod, "And I don't have a crush on my crew chief so that means if it's a bit on the mediocre side I won't die of embarrassment!"

Mom chuckles, "you're something else kid," and she walks out of the living room and to the kitchen.

"Oh mom! I forgot!" I hop up and quickly walk to her in the kitchen.

She looks at me and arches an eyebrow, "they said in the letter that I need an ugly Christmas sweater. I need your help finding a good one."

"You want my help picking an ugly Christmas sweater?"

I nod, "you have a talent for finding stuff like that."

She pauses and then suddenly grabs this dish cloth and whips it at me, "hey!"

I grin, "Love you!"

"I'll find you the ugliest sweater of them all just you wait girlfriend," she smirks at me.

"Thanks. I knew I could count on you. When you wanna go?"

"We can make a day of it tomorrow. I want to find something to get your dad too. He's a hard man to buy for and I'd appreciate your expertise opinion."

"An eye for and eye. Deal."

•••

"This one is super cute but itchy so no."

"It's not supposed to be cute (F/n)..."

"I think it's cute! Look at the little face!" I say furrowing my eyebrows as I look at the itchy green sweater with a tacky snowman on it. It's carrot nose lights up and there's a few jingle bells sewed on it.