50

The smell of tomato sauce and bread hits me as we walk through the front door. I see my mom draining the water from the spaghetti noodles as the steam rises to the ceiling.

"This smells so good mom," I smile as Chase comes in behind me.

"Just in time! I figured we would do spaghetti since it's easy and just about everyone likes it," she looks at Chase, "You do like it right?"

Chase chuckles, "Yes ma' am I do."

"Good because if you didn't then oh well because this is what we're having!" She smiles and sets the strainer down and sticks a huge fork in it so we can grab some.

"(F/n) please go tell your father dinner is ready."

I nod and slide my shoes off at the rug on the side. Chase does the same and sets his bag down next to his shoes. he stands there as I leave to go find my dad in his bedroom. I crack open the door and peek my head through. He is folding some laundry with his back to me so he jumps as I say "Hey. time to eat!"

His head swing around, "Well okay then! Giving me a heart attack here..."

I smile at him and then make my way back to the kitchen. I see Chase setting the plates on our long dark brown dining table where my mom already lined out the napkins and silverware. he keeps one for himself and stands to the side as the rest of us grab ours.

"Don't be shy now, dig in!" My dad says as he goes to scoop the long noodles onto his plate.

Chase nods and goes towards my dad to take his share. 

I pour myself a glass of grape juice and set it on the table, snatching a slice of the garlic bread on my way.

"Make yourself at home Chase, we have drinks in the fridge and cups up here in the cabinet," my mom gestures to the dark brown cabinet on the wall.

"Will do, thanks," he says as he plops some of my mom's homemade sauce on his noodles.

We all follow suit and then sit down together at the table. My dad sits on one end as Chase does the other, leaving me and my mom on both of the other sides of the table. Typically, it's just us three so it's not anything different adding a fourth person to the mix.

"Bon Appetit!" I smirk and twirl my noodles around my fork, lifting them to my mouth.

We all begin eating and after a few moments Chase looks at my mom, swallows his bite, and goes "Misses (L/n) this tastes absolutely wonderful. I'd almost reckon it's better than my mom's, just don't tell her that."

My mom smiles, and nods, "the sauce is our family recipe. Passed down from my great grandmother. I never met her, but I heard that she made some killer spaghetti sauce. And if it was anything like how this is, then mmmm-mmm!"

"You cook good baked beans too," my dad chimes in.

I look over at Chase, "she really likes to cook. You'll have to come try all of her family recipe items. You'll never go back to the regular stuff."

"I think I will if it's as good as this," he smirks.

We continue to stuff our faces and my dad clears his throat, "So, Chase. Are you ready to take a shot at the championship?"

Chase nods, "Yeah I'm hoping I have a shot at it. I think we've really dialed it in these last few races. Just gotta gear up for Pheonix and keep our heads down."

"You'll be locked in for sure man. I'm rooting for ya!" My dad smiles.

"Thank you, I'll do my best."

He arches his eyebrows at me, "Do you know exactly what date you'll be back?"