52

There's only two races until the championship race. 

Chase has a shot at it. He's leading in points right now and has had an overall solid season.

I am willing to place my bets on at least Chase and Denny being in the final four. However, anything can happen. We have Homestead and then the final cut-off race at Martinsville. I remember last year when Chase was in a similar position he is now and he got taken out at that final race. But I have a good feeling that this year he's going to bring it all down to Phoenix this time.

All I can do is keep my fingers crossed.

I know he must be feeling the pressure since he's been focusing hard on practice and reviewing his mistakes from last year.

He really wants this.

And I really want this too. I want to cross that finish line today in first. It's what I need to put my focus on right now. Chase can handle himself, but I need to saddle up and get ready for the ride and show the world that I am back.

My little pep talk with myself hypes me up. I roll my shoulders back and take a deep breath, bringing myself back to the present as the hoots and hollers of the fans sound throughout the stands in driver introductions. 

I stand in front of Martin Truex Jr. taking the eleventh starting position. The line chugs forward one by one and I soon find myself to come up next. After Martin goes out and the smoke goes off one of the attendees stops me. He holds up a finger for me to wait as the announcer comes across and the music cuts off.

I start to hear over the speakers throughout the track the sounds of cars. I look up at the big broadcasting screen to show what they are playing. 

My wreck. 

I hear commentary as the broadcasters are with high energy talking out how I get a run with Harvick hitting the back of my car. There's so much intensity in their voices and the sounds but then it all goes quiet again with a black screen. Then I hear the sound of my car crashing and see it slam into the wall and go up into the air. The guys in the booth solemnly talking about the wreck and if I'm okay. It cuts to devastated fans and then Chase, Ryan, Alex, Kyle Busch, my pit crew, and then finally Kevin Harvick celebrating.

Then it goes black.

"And now... ready for a special comeback and the driver of the forty eight, Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet, (F/N) (L/N)!"

Music plays and I hear the rumble of fireworks as I push my way out onto the stage. I see the crowd giving me a standing ovation and their yells are the loudest I've heard all night.

I raise both of my fists over my head to the sky and stand there, soaking it all in.

It was the final burst of confidence and kick-assery feeling that I needed.

Because it's go-time.

...

I swerve my car left and right beside Kurt Busch and behind Brad Keslowski, warming up my tires before we kick things off. Cliff comes in through my radio "Got a solid starting position. Just keep your head down and take it lap by lap. No rush. We've got this kid."

"Maybe it's a bold statement and a bit of a long shot but... lets go win this thing guys," I respond.

"Bold and brave. I like your style!" Cliff says back.

The pace car goes in as we round off our final pace lap. We all scrunch together as we come to the green flag. It waves as we hit the starting zone and I crush the gas and shift up through the gears. I blink and feel myself reel as the blast of noise hits me.