56

Pit road is overwhelmingly busy.

We are close to starting the lineup for the national anthem and everyone is scrambling to get the final touches on everything. Families and friends are hanging out and the reporters are swarming the Championship Four. My heart beats as I look over in Chase's direction and I spot him leaning up against his car, sunglasses on and arms crossed as he seems to be listening to someone talk to him. I made it through yesterday by avoiding him as much as humanly possible. He has the pole position too from having one hell of a car yesterday. I'm glad he seems to be confident and has a good car for his shot at the title, however challenging it will be.

I know I should at least go and wish him luck...

I contemplate it, knowing I'm running out of time but I just throw it to the wind and I quickly start walking over to him.

But then I stop.

I see her standing there with him and she's in close, saying something to him. I feel myself deflate and I take a deep breath and turn away, back to my car.

Just in time as they call us. 

Chase's P.O.V

I see (F/n) at her car through the sea of people crowding pit road. She's in her normal black and neon blue racing suit and she has her hair down, letting some of the wind catch her (H/c) locks. My eyes catch hers for a brief moment and I start to push myself up from my car to go to her, but then I'm stopped.

"Hey."

I see Andrea with her black sunglasses on, hair blowing in the breeze, with a black windbreaker on to fight the wind. She has her arms crossed and she steps closer so I can hear her. I get this slight feeling of irritation as I glance over towards (F/n) and now she's gone in the sea of people.

My eyes find Andrea again, I raise my eyebrows at her and cross my arms over my chest trying to keep my irritation at bay, "Hey."

She takes a sharp inhale, "Chase I just wanted to say good luck today. I'm sorry for Friday - truly. I hope that it works out for you two - you and whoever the lucky girl is. And I'm glad to call you my friend so I don't want whatever happened Friday to come between that, okay? I'm rooting for you."

I smile at her softly, "Thanks. I appreciate it. And don't worry, I'm glad I got to spend time with you and see you again after so long. It was nice."

She leans in closer, "So who is it?"

My cheeks flush and I look back over towards where (F/n) was and notice she has her back turned, walking away from my direction. I open my mouth but the speakers call us to line up for the national anthem. 

Your P.O.V

I close my eyes, taking in a deep breath and feeling a moment of peace.

"Drivers! Start. Your. Engines!"

I open my eyes and flick on the switch, hearing the forty-eight roar to life for the final time this year.

Everyone else comes alive around me. "Alright lets get it done" Cliff comes on over the radio.

"I appreciate everyone, it's been a wild year" I say back.

"Got that one right," I hear Eric come in.

I grab the wheel, press the clutch down, give it gas, and shift into first gear to get it rolling off of pit road. I come off the grid in the thirteenth position, watching the line in front of me as Chase has the pole, leading us onto the track.

We go around the track a few times to get in the starting pace laps, all lining up and ready to take off. "Hey you," I hear Kat come through. 

I grin, "I see Cliff accepted your application."