4

Another day went by but I didn't study in Taeil's house. I felt too embarrassed to go back there, especially since I have a scar on my head now. So, having the last time I saw Taeil being the day before yesterday, especially after what happened that night where we actually interacted – sort of – my hands tremble with the packaged rice cakes mother and I made a while ago as I head out the house.

Being forced against my will, mother ordered me to pass the deliciously homemade rice cakes to our neighbours – that being an act of gratitude for them having no problem with me in their house.

It takes a few seconds for me to collect the little confidence I have left to knock on their door. Truth is that his parents are home now and using the spare key to let myself in is most likely disrespectful.

It takes a few seconds until the door is pulled open. When the door is open wide enough I meet the eyes of Donghyuck, the guy with the high pitched voice. At first he was surprised, but then he went on, doing a 90° bow. "Hello," He straightens his back, greeting me in the process. The smile on his face grows wider when I bow back at him.

Shortly after, Mrs Moon comes over with a smile on her face, "Y/N, my child, how are you doing?"

"I'm good thank you," I do a 90° bow, smiling as brightly as I can. "Ah, I brought this box of rice cakes. Mother and I had made them and agreed on giving them to you as a sign of gratitude." I introduce the rice cakes, speaking as formally as I had learnt to.

"Gratitude?" Her brows knit closer and she squints at me, "For what?"

Clearing my throat, I answer, "For letting me study here. I'm thankful for the spare key too," I attempt a joke with the key, which she giggles fondly to.

"Oh my dear, no need to thank us, but we'll accept this – it'd be rude to just send you back with it," She nudges Donghyuck, gesturing that he takes the box from my hands, which he does ever so ashamed; probably because he thinks he should've been a gentleman and did it before. "Although, you have to stay. We can't let you go without tasting your own dessert," She pulls my arm without hesitation.

I knew I should protest, but who knows, she might think that we poisoned the food – or maybe I'm just overthinking. Another half of me believes that I'm staying because I want to see Taeil, which isn't entirely a lie, because I do want to see him.

"Haechan, my child, please drop it in the kitchen, then tidy up the living room." She orders Donghyuck who's locking the door. I turn back to see him nodding and rushing past us. "By the way, what happened to the side of your eye, Y/N?" Mrs Moon doesn't take another step forward, but turns back to point at the wound given by Dayeon.

It dried up faster and closed up quicker with the salt Taeil put. Fortunately it didn't look as bad, nevertheless people would still see it as a once deep cut near my left eye.

"Um," I hum, "I fell and hit my head at the corner of the table..." I shake my head, not wanting to remember much about the incident. Mrs Moon gets the movement and apologises quietly. Waving the topic off, she proceeds walking, with my wrist trapped in her hand.

"I'll leave you here for a moment while I finish preparing dinner, okay?" She suggests, leaving me there before I can even respond.

Donghyuck comes out of the kitchen, dusting his hands against each other while I take a seat on my usual spot on the couch. I look in the direction of the hallway leading to the other rooms in hopes of seeing Taeil. Instead of seeing Taeil, I see another guy. It's Taeil's friend. They've been close friends, almost brothers for about fifteen or twenty years now, and since the past two years, after their fight... well argument, I never thought I'd see him again.