8

For most of the most of the seven hour road trip, Taeil and I haven't exchanged a single word, besides the single greeting when directing me to his car and telling me to buckle up. The only reason why I stay silent for so long is because the voice in me is reasonable. I feel that this moment with Taeil in the car is not just coincidental, and I know I should speak with him to ease the burning feeling from within, but unfortunately for me I find it impossible to stop giving excuses to myself. Like saying, The silence is comfortable, which it isn't, or He might cause an accident while being engaged in the convo, which is kind of dumb to suggest too.

Besides that at around 9.30am, four and a half hours of driving, he pulled the car over near a small cafe. He gave me some money and told me to "eat up", meanwhile he'll rest for a bit. I bought a soda and cheese sandwich for myself, though even if Taeil hadn't asked for it I still bought his favourite chicken and mayo pie with a bottle of milk - just the way he'd like it. In a matter of ten minutes I was finished and by the time I reached the car Taeil was on a phone call, nothing serious though. From what I understand, his friend Mark needed to buy a gift for another friend, I think his name's John? Johnny? And Mark didn't know what underwear size he wore, what his favourite colour was or what shoe size he wore. The call ended at least five minutes after I got in the car and that was when I took the opportunity to give Taeil his food which he was seriously thankful for. As expected he normally eats for ten to twenty minutes long, and he did the same today. He asked if I minded sitting for ten minutes while he recharges again. Obviously I didn't mind, I even took the opportunity to stare at him for half the time his eyes were closed.

By 12:15 we safely arrived at the orphanage.

From the feeding, to bathing, to dressing and playing, Taeil and I seemed to find the idea of leaving the other's side ridiculous. Which I honestly loved the feeling. Few minutes later, I found myself mentally cursing at most of the scenes unfolding in front of me. Most people feel connections and instantly bond with babies or young children, whereas on my side, babies and children are just humans trying to grow. It's just that I don't have this emotionally soft heart for kids, as it is, most of my life is focused on education and nothing more. No time for kids, especially the crying ones.

Although I must thank the angel who asked if Taeil was my boyfriend. Despite Taeil noticing me preparing to deny and defend, he spoke up saying that I am his wife and the baby he was carrying was our child. It was initially meant to be a harmless joke, well, that's what I thought until he started pointing out the babies features. He said the child has my eyes, his eyebrows and eyelashes, my nose holes, his nose shape and his chapped lips. At the moment I was debating whether Taeil was fooling around or being sincere, because in my eyes the baby looked nothing like me or Taeil.

"Y/N, are you feeling uneasy because of what I said?"

I blink as he turns to look at me, who zoned out while staring in his direction. It takes me a moment to come to terms with reality before I assume to understand what he's implying to.

"Not at all. Why would you think that I was?" I ask, making it visible on my expression that I am confused by his assumption as I strap on my seatbelt once again. The last thing anyone in my position could possibly want is to be misunderstood. Even if the situation isn't something too extra, I cannot risk it by taking chances.

In a matter of milliseconds it falls quiet. The only sounds that we can hear now are the tyres rolling over the tar road and the engine roaring.

For a moment I stare at him, unsure if he's preparing to respond or simply let it slide. By the time I look down at my lap, I see his foot stepping on the brakes. He starts to readjust the stick, fearlessly controlling all four - the gear stick, steering wheel, foot pads and the turning signal lights. With my head still down I barely notice until I look up, that he parks the car neatly by a sidewalk in front of a pricey restaurant.