23

Clutching my shoes in my hands, I glance over my shoulder one last time at the misty space. We are three cold hours away from the reality we live, not a second close to anyone for that matter. We travelled a long way to get to Busan – having spent those three hours sitting silently in the car.

Now here we are. At the designated beach, at 4am, four days before my marriage. Just me and Taeil, together. He lays on the peach sand, one arm underneath his neck, the other one laying on top of his stomach. He seems so immersed in his thoughts. For the last fifteen minutes here, he had not opened his mouth once. Millions of things could be going on in there, but I could not dare to open or start a conversation.

Besides it, I notice how majestic he appears. The way his arm is tilted and hidden under his head, his fingers resting on his button up. How he maintains the expression on his face becomes a mystery and the feeling that arises from the light wind pushing his hair.

"Do you believe..." Taeil begins slowly, "...in past lives?" He questions quietly, staring up above and allowing himself to be absorbed by the mixture of this dark denim and navy blue sky.

I bring my legs close to my chest, wrapping my arms around them and laying my head on top. From childhood all the way to this day, I have always found that topic quite frightening. There was once a time, back when I was thirteen and studying in Taeil's house. Taeil had hugged his mom goodnight earlier that evening and went off to doze, however after approximately four hours, he screamed himself awake. He came out of his room after a moment and stayed up in the kitchen with his mom where he had began speaking about how he saw his past life. A past life is known to be the life a person lived before, though to me, the idea of a past life is opening up to the dead myths of centuries before. So that is when the question occurs once again; do I believe in past lives?

"Yes. I do. Except—" my eyes shift when he motions with his finger against his lips, silencing me. A couple seconds later, he puffs out a large misty breath and watches it become one with, the wind. His action sends shivers down my spine.

"Okay," Taeil nods, appearing relieved. "So you, too, believe that this is not our first time meeting... in this life." he concludes, happiness hidden in his expression but evident in his voice. Besides the radiating happiness passed on to me, I wonder why he concluded without hearing my opinion. Not for a moment in my life had I ever thought about who my past self knew in this life. That was and still is none of my business. Although, Taeil being fascinated by it makes me fascinated. After all I take interest in anything he likes.

Then again, my heart falls to the very pit of my stomach, as I repeat what Taeil said, over and over, unable to comprehend what I have just realized. I do not want to believe it, but at the end of the day the truth is; Taeil has not only noticed me but has also thought much about me. All in all, I must mean something to him, more than just a girl studying in his home.

"How long have you—" I cut myself shortly, flustered by his full attention up at me. A normal person would look at me, but he is looking at me as if I mean something– like I matter. For the first time, besides Kun, no one made me feel so important. Matter of fact, Taeil made sure to keep his eyes immoral around ladies, but it changed ever since I left home. By the time we met again, his eyes feel fragile and precious like a child's.

I let out a deep breath as Taeil turns his head the other way. He uses his hands to push himself up from the sand, and rests his arms on his knees. "Have I what?" Taeil questions, side eyeing me. A small chuckle leaves his mouth. "How long have I thought about it, mhm?" he guesses sharply, correct. It takes a lot for me to hide the excitement I feel. Taeil is taking it upon himself to assume and complete the question I was unable to finish. He never once took interest in me, now he is completing a question. There is no way I do not mean something to him. "Y/N," he tests my name on his tongue, "You came into my house when I was sixteen, but I only knew your name when I turned twenty. You see, I met a lady in my dream, a very seductive one as I would describe her. She had a mole or beauty mark on her neck and she had short neck length hair.