22

"You're not going to work today?" Kun inquires, repeating exactly what I said. He pauses from wearing his sneakers. By his choice of outfit – a loose tee and denim jeans – I can tell he is not going to work either.

"Mr Moon said that every Sunday, interns have a day off, until they become official employees." I explain, having my fingers entangled. I feel nervous. His eyes on mine alone does not make my stomach feel good. I am afraid he might shout at me for not telling him, but then again, the fact that Xiao De Jun had to wake us up for breakfast at 9am clearly put out the idea of me going to work. At least that's what I hope he would think.

He shrugs, slipping the sneakers on anyway. I watch him, waiting for a response that I do not think I will ever get. He pushes himself up and the roles are reversed, with me looking up at him and him looking down to me. Our height difference is not as dramatic, but it is still visible that we have a height difference.

For a moment I think that his eyes on me is supposed to force butterflies in my stomach, the way it does to the ladies in movies. Although, I am not one to easily fall weak to just anyone, and have unknown emotions running the systems in my body. I had already marked Taeil as my one, for the past ten years, and only he can make my body system engage in churning. Other than him, no one can do that, at least not now.

"You're wearing the set?" his eyes twinkle in astonishment. "It looks good on you." He comments.

I wonder for a second what he means, then I follow his eyes to my neck. I am wearing the set from the Tûú Store, the necklace, earrings and the bracelet that came in the box he gifted me. The accessories looked bedazzling and fancy, so I thought I would only wear it for a special occasion. Even if I should keep my distance with Taeil, I still feel the need to be perfect in his eyes. Thus, him being in the house right now is what I will consider a special occasion. "Thank you," I smile with pleasure from his complement. If I look good in Kun's eyes, I will most likely look better in Taeil's eyes.

"Alright," he inhales deeply, "You've been avoiding dinner and breakfast. The least I could do was hope you eat at work and school, but today since you're staying at home, we should eat breakfast." he steps aside and takes the lead. I submissively follow behind him.

We reach the dining room and see everyone including Taeil and the other guy called Yuta. They draw their attention to us two, amused smiles on all their faces. Taeil's smile seems a bit weak, but it is there. Someone must have told a joke before Kun and I came down, otherwise they wouldn't be smiling. I look at the seats beside Taeil... the ones that are already occupied, unfortunately. My shoulders slump.

"Y/N, sit here," Wuolai points the empty seat on Dong Si Cheng's right, the empty seat across Taeil. I suppress the happiness building up in me and sit down. Kun settles down on the seat at my right and I cannot be more thankful - Dong Si Cheng has not been the friendliest person to me since I started living here, so I always feel intimidated by him. Not to mention– he kicked the TV.

The scent of noodles and octopus on my plate gives this particular feeling, an unexplained one, like I should love it and that it is not just any morning breakfast.

"Taeil, the breakfast is delicious." Wuolai compliments, clearly enjoying the food. I look at my plate and Taeil. Taeil is being thanked for the food, this can only mean that he made the food.

He looks up from his plate to her. "Cool," he merely responds with an unfazed expression, looking back down once again and continuing his with his food. Licking her lips awkwardly, Wuolai continues to eat.

Xiao De Jun and Wuolai starts speaking in Mandarin about how the octopus is cut in fancy restaurants and how it differs from the way Taeil cut it. Kun excuses himself to make a phone call. Yuta and Huang Xuxi talk about a soccer match. Taeil eats quietly, unbothered by the multiple interactions.