Chapter 2

• Dedicated to Music

I wake up in my bed. I roll around and see that Aaron is not there and the memories come flooding back to me from the deepest recesses of my mind. I want to cry when I think of how mad Aaron will be at me when he gets out of jail. But that is changes quickly when start to think of the tall man that stepped into Aaron's abuse. Nobody has ever done that for me. In all of the years of Aaron beating me like his own personal ragdoll, never once was there a time that someone would step in and force him to stop. 

I wonder what I can do for the man that saved me from the beating that Aaron had planned. I decide on making cupcakes for him. I have always been pretty good around the kitchen and this is the least that I could do for him. 

I get out of my bed and start to get dressed. I walk into the kitchen and begin making the cupcakes. Before I put them into the cupcake trays I hear the phone ring. I walk into the front room and look at the caller ID to see who it is. I see that the call is coming from the jail. I know that it is Aaron. I wonder if I should pick the phone up or just let it ring. I know that I should just pick up the phone because it will only be worse on me if I just let it ring. 

"Hello," I answer.

"Hey baby. Look, I just want to say that I am sorry for what I did to you," Aaron whines.

I stay silent. I don't want to say that I forgive him for it. I know that he will just do it again. But I don't want to tell him what I really think about what happened yesterday. I will just keep it to myself, that I loved seeing him get his ass handed to him by the tall stranger. I loved seeing him go to jail. And to be honest I love the fact that he is not around right now. It feels like I can breathe free. 

"I swear to you that I will never do it again. I don't know what came over me. Maybe if you weren't looking at that asshole I would have never lost my cool," he states.

"You know that it would have happened either way. You're always getting mad at me. And most of the time there is nobody else around," I reply.

"I know... I just love you so much that I don't know what to do sometimes," he groans.

My heart skips a beat when I hear him say that he loves me. Most of the time he is yelling at me or hitting me, so when he says that he loves me I like to cherish those moments. After all I don't get them all that often. 

"I swear that I will never do it again. I will try to change. I will go back to the mental ward and have them put me on medication so that I can be better for you. Just please forgive what I have done," he begs.

"I forgive you," I reply, ignoring my heart and mind.

"Can you call my father and ask him to wire us some money so that we can get me out of here," he asks.

"I'll try," I reply.

"Thanks baby. I swear when I get out of here I will change into a different man for you because that is what you deserve," Aaron beams as he hangs up the phone. 

I hang up my end of the phone and set it back down on the receiver. I walk back into the kitchen to finish what I started. As I bake I think about the phone call. I know that I will not call his father for money anymore. That is the only time that him and his father talk some-what is when he is in jail and needs bail money. 

I hear the oven timer go off and take the cupcakes out of the oven. I put them on a rack to dry as I go into the bathroom to put on some makeup. After all I do not want to go and deliver the cupcakes looking like hell ran over. 

I decorate the cupcakes and put them all in a woven basket. I walk the cupcakes over to the tall man's door. I knock and then deal with the war that is waged in me. Wondering if I should just walk away. Wondering if he will even answer the door.